iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3 point skidding winch brands

Started by sqddqo, June 24, 2013, 10:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sqddqo

I am looking at 3 point skidding winches and am interested to know if one brand and or features are better than another.

Hans1

Haven't been around many but bought a wallenstien fx 90 this year and it works well surprised how much power it has .

colincb183

We have a Farmi 306 that is 30+ years old that has been great.  I haven't had much experience with the new Farmi winches but I'm sure they still build a good winch

beenthere

sqddqo
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
New, so maybe haven't seen the Hud-son ad and they are a sponsor here.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,66053.0.html

Their skidding winch looks like a real solid deal. Prolly can't go too wrong with any of the winches around, but here is a company that is helping make this forum happen. Take a look.

And their website
http://www.hud-son.com/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furu

Have a Farmi 501 and it is a great piece of equipment.  Farmi is the one I selected  after researching and looking at just about every 3 point skidding winch manufactured.  They have been around a long time and parts are still available for the older models; thus one can expect to find parts for a very long time to come for the current models.  The clutch will probably outlive you.

thecfarm

sqddqo,welcome to the forum. Must have a tractor,what hp? What size wood you will be twitching out with it? Many brands out there. They will all do a good job. I have a Norse,from Labonville. Has a pivoting butt plate,high top pulley and can pull the logs out with the top pulley too. They are pricey now,but the way those winches are built,they will last for many years. Had mine since '93 and only had to replace the wire rope,4-5 times. If cutting small stuff,make up some chains about 3 feet long. Much easier to use than a 8 foot chain. I think I run 6 chokers,but some times only 1 or 2 is used. The 6 comes in handy when cleaning up the small wood. Never pull at a 90°,try to get the tractor in just about a straight line with the log or whatever you are pulling. They are quite the tool to have on the back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

bought my Farmi in 1993.
Great winch no problems except the self inflicted ones.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sqddqo

I will definitely look at the Hud-son units too.  I just sent a check today for a "new to me" 2004 Massey Ferguson 492 w/1300 hrs, 99 gross hp. w/loader.  I think pto is rated around 85 or so hp.  Has a cab too.  I cut mostly maple, a little oak, and even less birch.  Some of the maple are 18-22" at the but so they are stout logs.  I appreciate all the input and advice very much.  I am trying to find the best bang for my buck.

sherpa

I have a Farmi 501 on a Kubota L4300 tractor and have skidded hundreds of cords of wood with it and am replacing the cable for the first time since owning it.  I bought it in 2006.  No complaints or problems.  Whichever one you choose just recognize its limitations and winch as straight off the unit as possible and you shouldn't have problems.  I mostly use it in the winter clearing cedar stands which I skid full tree length.  Hardwood, I buck the logs out and tree length skid the firewood tops.  Farmi has suited my operation well.

sqddqo

I intend to skid full length too.  The less I have to trip over the better.  I usually try to back as close to the log as possible and stretch a chain to the log and pull with the tractor.  I can't get to a lot of them though due heavily forested areas, hence the winch.

thecfarm

sqddqo,that's only about 100 hours a year.  ::)  That is nothing. You found a good deal.
I have twiched out 3 foot white pine,16 feet, with my tractor and that is only 40 hp.My trails are not the straighest,hard to haul out tree lenghth even if I had the power to do it. Those long ones really pull hard,without the wieight and hp.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sqddqo

I'm sure I will get plenty of them binding up, that's what the chain saw is for.  I have snatch blocks too.

beenthere

And with a little bit of chain saw work, you can get a full length tree to "fold up" smaller by cutting about 3/4 way through side limbs such that when pulling them in with the winch and dragging down the trail, they will cause less damage and get caught on fewer leave trees.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timberlinetree

We bought a fansgarg? Winch for our 2009 nh tractor . We got a coupon from the saw shop so we bought it and when we picked it up at the wearhouse they asked how old the tractor was. I guess the older tractors have longer 3pth arms so the drive is not long  enuff so when u lower on a down slope the PTO shaft falls off. It has been good other wise. Also be careful of breaking cable just heard of a chipper cable braking and killing a guy. Ours has a screen but doesn't offer much protection. Think ours has a slip clutch tho so I'm not to worried. Good luck.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

g_man

There are a lot of good ones no doubt.  I have had a Farmi since 2002 and it has been bullet proof. You can't go wrong there.

pineywoods

Don't overlook the possibility of home made winches. Banjo Picker cobbled up a real nice one and posted build pics..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

47sawdust

I have the smallest Tajfun winch and I love it.It is very well built,strong,and nicely featured as well as a pulling fool.
Don't forget a self-releasing snatch block,they are invaluable.Their are a lot of good winches out there and here in Vermont used ones seem to hold their value.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Dieselbreath

I've had a Farmi since 1993 (the small one), now wishing I had a bigger one. It's been a good machine. If I get another one I will get the remote control. Will save a lot of walking.

petefrom bearswamp

Timberline,
I bought a shaft piece from TSC store which is long enough so the shaft doesn't fall off.
Mine is a standard triangular shape
It was fairly inexpensive.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

John_Haylow

I have been using a Fransgard V4000 for about 6 years now with no problems. I have it on a 40 Hp Kubota 4WD tractor. As others have said, keep your pull as straight as possible or you could easily tip over your tractor.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

timberlinetree

Here's a picture of our winch. When I installed the drive shaft, I lined both PTO shafts horizontally. Then I cut the shaft as the instructions stated as long as possible to fit between the two shortest points (PTO shafts) Now when I lower it on a downhill slope, the PTO shaft will extend all the way and slide out. But we just live with it! It has really been such a huge asset to our tree business. I wonder how we ever did it without it  :)

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!