iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oil pressure getting weak, after machine warms up?

Started by Kemper, June 24, 2013, 04:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemper

I've noticed lately in my Tigercat 726 feller buncher the oil psi has gotten low after running the machine for a while. When I start it, it's about 50, but after running it for a bit it heads to 25 or lower. Could it be as simple as needing to change the oil or could the pump be weak? Any ideas? It has a big cummins for the power unit. Thanks

240b

Whats the oil psi at operating temp while its working?(cuttin trees)

tyb525

That could mean the bearings are getting worn out and letting more oil thru, causing lower pressure. The higher psi when it's cold is due to the oil being thicker. But hopefully it's something else and not that.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Kemper

Quote from: 240b on June 24, 2013, 05:14:08 PM
Whats the oil psi at operating temp while its working?(cuttin trees)

It starts about 50 and can work its way down to 25 or lower.

240b

like tyb said probably the bottom end.? pretty hard to say not seeing it.  try some straight 30 wt oil or even 40 wt ursa if you could find it.  find out what the min oil psi is for that motor also. ? 6bta cummins?

John Woodworth

The oil pressure goes first through your cam bearings then to the mains,  depending on hours it's probably bearing wear, try straight 40 wt. I'm not real familiar with Cummings, is the oil pump accesable from the outside? If so you can shim the pressure relief valve spring and increase the pressure. Just as long as your running in the minimum specs and running good oil and stays consistant at the same pressure warm , I've seen Detroits idle at 7-10 pounds at idle and have good pressure at operating speed. Manual guage or electric? if electric do a manual test on it to check sender.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

kiko

25 psi is ok on the 8.3. Most will end up there after some hours. However, as stated before I would check the oil pressure manually as the tc 726 came with electric gauge. Oil pressure regulator is located right above the oil filter and is a cartridge that is easily replaceable . Oil pump can be accessed by removing front cover. As long as oil pressure does fall all the way out at idle I would run it.

Kemper

Thanks guys, I ran it for a few hours today and it never fell below 50.

Thank You Sponsors!