iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What hardwood species for hot humid weather?

Started by cutterboy, June 24, 2013, 04:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Right now in Massachusetts we are in a spell of hot humid weather and it looks like it is going to stay with us for a while. I sometimes have problems with mold with the lumber I saw in this kind of weather. I saw the post WDH put up about the maple he sawed last week and I got to wondering what species of hardwood would be least likely to have mold and or stain problems in heat and humidity. Maybe ash because it has a low moisture content green, or red oak because it is mostly heart wood? Any ideas?         Thanks, Cutter

BTW, I'm sawing ash now and just hoping for the best.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ron Wenrich

Ash doesn't get blue stain.  But, you have to worry about powder post beetle.  Most any lumber will mold if there isn't sufficient air flow.  Sapwood will get blue stain on most species.  If you let it lay in the log, the problem is worse.  You can also spray on different treatments to avoid blue stain, and I believe mold. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

stavebuyer

I think you made a good choice. Hard Maple and Hickory are more or less one day items with Poplar not far behind. Depending on humidty and rain you might get by with a week on untreated Red Oak.

WDH

Yes, ash and oak are good players.  They can handle the slow drying pretty well and are not prone to stain as is maple and yellow poplar and pine.  They are very desirable species to cut and dry in the summer.  Cherry and walnut are also very tolerant.  Stay away from pecan ( smiley_devil) if you can help it  :).

I just saw stavebuyer's post just before I hit the "post" button, and I agree with him 100%.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cutterboy

Thanks guys for the quick answers. I have plenty of ash and oak to keep me busy while it's hot.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!