iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Motor issue......

Started by Dewey, June 23, 2013, 06:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewey

My mill a Timber Harvestor has a 27 HP  Kohler....  It has 5000 plus HRS  on this motor....  lately  very randomly  it appears  to only run on one cylinder.... Although usually for just a minute or two I am nervous that at some point it will be more of an issue.... Yesterday while it was ( skipping ) I pulled one plug wire and saw no differance in how it was running then I went to the other cylinder  and pulled the plug wire and it almost stalled.... Sooooo  it seams that it stops firing on one cylinder.....  I'm thinking  maybe the coil is acting up ?????  Has anyone out there had this problem ???   The motor runs fine and burns no oil so I don't mind replacing the coil if thats what it is  ....

ladylake

Could be the coil or wires , maybe needs new plugs. I think they have hydraulic lifters, if not check the valve clearance.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

wetdog

If that engine has two coils, swap them around and see if your problem moves.

Larry

I have the 34 HP Kohler.  Last year a mouse chewed into my coil on top and caused the same problem.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Herb Brooks

Not to get funny,but.  I have a 25 horse fuel injected Kohler on a Hustler mower.  I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the 02 sensor.

nk14zp

I'd start with the plugs.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

bandmiller2

Dewey, does your coil have the two teats[double high tension output on top] if so their costly.First I would check the easy stuff replace plug wires and plugs.Check low tension wires for bare spots and loose connections, not overlooking the ignition switch.Finally a compression check to rule out internal problems. Frank C. Go out at night and run the engine and move the wires around watching for a light show.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dewey

I have replaced plugs and all the filters and such  ( routine maintanence )
The skipping is so random
it may last 5 seconds or 2 minutes,it may not happen today or it may 10 times.you never know when to expect it...  I havn't taken the covers off to locate the coil so I am not sure what design it is,And when it's not skipping the motor runs great so I don't think it's a mechanical issue. I guess I will run it for now and when I think I can take the time to tear it appart I will....  Is there any way to test a coil ???

moosehunter

You may be able to find the specs on line to check the coils with an OHM meter. If you have two coils test them both and see how different they are.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

hackberry jake

I had a similar problem with a 20 hp honda. It was a rocker arm that was very loose. It would bounce off of the valve then bounce back on.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

rmack

new parts cost money, probably most efficient to figure out the cause first.

knowing which cylinder is currently failing, I would swap easiest part, (probably plug wires?) and wait for the next time to see which cyl is not firing.

might be as simple as giving plug wire a little more crimp where it clamps on spark plug or coil.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

julio

check valves we are seeing a lot them that need adjusting and some that need seals
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

Thank You Sponsors!