iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a fair start. Update with questions

Started by Herb Brooks, June 22, 2013, 11:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herb Brooks

Today I got the axle welded on and flipped the frame over.  Now I can back it in the shop and start on the tracks and mill head. Alot more shade and a big fan in there. Right at a hundred today. Got a few pics so here goes. If I have enough stick to it I will chronicle the build here in one thread.
Base frame was a modular storage building that was destroyed by a wind storm.  I got to clean up the mess and keep the two 6X24 sub structures.  They are built from 10" channel Iron some where around 17 lbs a foot.  Cross members are I beam 2"X 8" Not sure of their weight but I'm confident they will Hold up. Time will tell. In the pictures I have one trailer house axle. This is (hopefully) not the final axle. money is tight. But the plan is tandem torsion axles with brakes.  Whats on there now will suit during the build. More to come.

Ga Mtn Man

Looks good, Herb.  How big is that thing?  It looks huge!

Oh, and that's a sweet tractor you've got there. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WmFritz

One strong looking foundation.  smiley_thumbsup What's gonna set on it, Herb
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Herb Brooks

The tractor is a 1953 Super H. found it about 7 years ago. Had about a 5" elm growing up through the middle of it. Wish I had spent the extra money for good paint. That is 6 year old TSC paint not got any shine left. And faded pretty good as well.  Total length is 32 ft width is 6 ft.  To get the spacing right on the cross members I cut a foot off one and added 9 foot from the other. The next step is to construct a mill head.  Goal is to cut about 5 foot wide.  But still keep the total width under 102" so as not to have to permit it to move it. I have some unconventional ideas for the saw head. Most notably for the band wheels. Will have to buy some new steel, but from here on out the intention is to use all salvage material. Stay tuned.

thecfarm

The fair start looks good. 5 feet wide.WOW!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Herb Brooks

Seems kinda dumb don't it? But it is build it big or cut down the frame I got. Lazy wins today.

thecfarm

Well one thing for sure,it will cut a smaller log. Build a mill that will only cut a 30 inch log and get a 40 inch one and you can't cut it without doing something to make it smaller. Much easier to make something bigger than what you think you need. Than it will be just the right size someday.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Herb Brooks

10-4 on that.  Age is creeping up on me. need to make things as easy as I can.  Need to head off to Church now.  Need His help more than anything.

drobertson

Looks good Herb! Looks like allot of fun,  staying tuned in for your latest progress,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Herb Brooks

Thanks for your interest and kind remarks.  Going to be slow progress as real life is always getting in the way.  But with the kind encouragement of you fine folks I may be able to get out there and work on it when I would just as soon sit on the couch.  Need to go feed some hay to the horses now and fill some potholes in the road back to our place. Time and effort all will be well.

WDH

This is an ambitious project for sure.  I have heard that everything is bigger in Texas  :D.  I look forward to seeing your progress.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Looking good!

What's the other red tractor? I thought it might be a 656, but those rear wheels say 706 or bigger.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Herb Brooks

756D this isn't a tractor forum but I will say that German diesel is such a fuel mizer Standard oil should of had them outlawed. Never got to them potholes. Maybe Saturday coming.

Dave Shepard

I thought it might be. We have a 756 with the 310 and an 826 with the 358, both Neuss Diesels.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Herb Brooks

Both good tractors, as long as you don't use the TA for a brake.  We had an 826 when I was a kid. Had a turbo and propane kit put on she sure would pull.  If you wern't careful you could wear out a set of rears in a week.
Youth and horsepower are hazardous to the bottom line.

Herb Brooks

Had to take a break from building the mill to build this.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Herb Brooks

Not quite done yet. What you see is as far as I've gotten. Ordered a 15" driven pulley from Cooks. Bet ya didn't know they sold plucker parts. Pulley should be here tomorrow. Should get done Saturday.

Herb Brooks

Resurecting this old thread to show how slow I am and to ask a question.  First off the Plucker works great can clean two roosters in about 15 seconds. Thanks Mr. Whizbang. (google it).
Have not been able to work on the mill much. but getting to the point where I need some advice on HP v Torque.  I have a v465d Wisconsin that I want to use. I feel my target RPM should be in the neighborhood of 2200 rpm to hit the sweet spot.  Or should I shoot for 3000 governed speed to get max HP. May be 2800 to hit a balance. See my delema.  Time to order pulleys so any input from ya'll is much apreciated.                                                     
Power Output
Torque
RPM HP KW Ft lbs Kg-M
1600 41.6 31.0 136.6 18.89
1800 47.5 35.4 138.6 19.16
2000 52.4 39.1 137.6 19.02
2200 56.7 42.3 135.3 18.71
2400 60.0 44.8 131.2 18.14
2600 63.0 47.0 127.2 17.59
2800 64.5 49.2 121.0 16.73
3000 65.9 49.2 115.3 15.94
Thanks.

hackberry jake

I would probably aim for around 2,000 rpm to keep engine life up. I would also build it to run a 2" band if you are planning on cutting many 5' wide logs with it. A 2" band will also require A LOT of tension.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

dgdrls

I looked quickly but did not see what your driving for a saw blade,

I would lean toward a higher Unloaded RPM.  Then with a load,
you should pick-up the torque curve and continue cutting cleanly
Nice work,

best DGD

Herb Brooks

Thanks guys. 
Jake:  Not many 5 foot logs around here. The reason for a 5 foot width of cut is to take some of these Live oak logs with a lot of sweep and slab them oriented with the sweep, ladies around here love those sweepy slabs live edge and turned into headboards, mantles, benches and such.  As far as engine life, these Wisconsin engines are pretty much bullet proof if you keep the fins clean so they don't overheat.
Being air cooled they need the rpm to keep cool. there is a part' of my rpm selection problem. May add an engine oil cooler to help some.  Was Considering 1.5" blades. But two may in-fact be better.
Dgd: What you say brings me back to my original train of thought.  The trouble I'm having is, My plan is to use three rib tractor front tires as band wheels.  16" ford wheels as rims. Roughly 30" in diameter. Now it gets deeper. to get a band speed  of 5500sfpm I need to get the drive pulley down to around 6" and the driven pulley around 25" with a governed speed of 3000. math may be off some. but I'm not sure that a 2 sheeve 6" pulley will have enough wrap to pull at 65 hp.

21incher

Can't wait to see pictures of this build. How about a timing belt drive like the parts used on Harleys that way you would not need much tension to keep it from slipping and it would easily handle 60 HP. Biggest problem would be making a shield to keep the sawdust out. With a 5 ft cut it seems like you could easily drag down the rpm with sawdust buildup in the blade so I would guess stay towards the higher RPM as stated before and a wider blade with deeper gullets . What type of clutch are you using?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

barbender

Another thing, Herb- make sure the tires you use can handle the speeds they will be turning. 5500sfpm should be around 60mph, right? I used to have a home built band mill that used 14" boat trailer tires, they worked fine except for the fact that the tires grew in diameter when they were spun up to speed, it made tracking and other adjustments very finicky.
    For your engine, I would run it at whatever rpm it is most resistant to losing any rpms. Band blades like consistent speeds to cut straight, whenever you lose too many rpm your blade will start to dive. I have no idea what that would mean, whether 200 rpm above peak torque or spun right up to 3000. That's my .02 for tonight ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Herb Brooks

Thanks for the replys.  A cog belt is a good idea except my planned clutch is an idler arm belt tensioner.  Pictures are gonna be hard, cammera is misplaced. looked at replacements but don't want to spend the money then find it an hour later.  It will turn up. just ain't looked in the right drawer or glove box yet. Tire speed is a concern. the tractor fronts are for low speed use but they can handle a bunch of weight hoping the cords will work going both ways to hold them together. Absolutly certain they will grow. hope they don't blow. 

Thank You Sponsors!