iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Amazing trees!

Started by florida, June 22, 2013, 05:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

My wife and I just got back from 2 weeks in England and Scotland. While we were there we saw some of the most amazing trees I've ever seen. Most of these were in the gardens at Blenheim Place, Winston Churchill's birthplace.

These are all specimen trees and many were planted in the early 1700's by Capability Brown the famous English landscape gardener.

I believe this was an oak.

A copper beech. They look almost black and really sit out in the landscpae.

No idea what it is but an amazing tree.

Pretty sure this is a cedar

Another oak and about 7 feet across

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

florida

I was surprised to see this redwood in the north of Scotland although as cool as it is there I shouldn't have been.

Retired now!

Ianab

Look like a lot of the bigger garden trees we have here in NZ, although some of those UK ones would have a couple of hundred years head start on ours.

Our town was only established in 1878, so those English trees have a head start on us  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Very impressive trees.

I think your cedar is a pine though. ;) Can see the 'candles' elongating. Looks like long needles on the branches.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

florida

Somewhere on the Blenheim Palace grounds is an oak over 900 years old. You can go to Google Earth and search for the Palace then use the Street Level function to walk through the grounds and see these trees as they appear in the landscape.

ianab- I assume these have have good care and lots of feriilizer over the years too.

Swampdonkey- Certainly possible. I can tell an oak from a palm but that's about it.
Retired now!

florida

Here are some more to test your tree identifying abilities. There are all at Dunvegan Castle on the Isle of Skye.

Any ideas? Beautiful cones!

Looks like it's windy there. 

This one I know but let's see how you all do. I never saw one before and would have assumed it to be tropical.
Retired now!

WDH

Araucaria?  Brazilian pine?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on June 22, 2013, 08:31:14 PM
Araucaria?  Brazilian pine?

Definitely Araucaria

could also be a bunya bunya.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

I don't know them, but I do thank you for sharing your pictures.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

First photo is a fir during pollenation. The female cones are erect and the little pollen cones are hard to see, but small little brown cones.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

The second looks like a juniper.

florida

I had to look it up but Araucaria is correct. It's a Monkey Puzzle Tree. Never saw one before and sure wouldn't climb one. Those are some wicked stiff, pointy leaves if that's what they are called.

SD- Do all firs have cones like that?
Retired now!

SwampDonkey

True firs, excludes Douglas Fir. There is variation in the seed cones, but they stand erect on the fir. However they have grown Douglas Fir on the British Isles.

Back here in NB, we have just one fir, balsam fir. The cones are greenish purple early on. Once the cone ripens it falls apart in the wind, leaving the axis still attached to the limb. Next years pollen cones are easy to see over the winter, they look like tiny glazed over cones, covered by scales.

thecfarm

Thank you for the amazing pictures. Hope you had a good time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

In the OP, the one where you say "No idea what it is but an amazing tree."

It might possibly be a deodar cedar. Not sure.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ianab

Those ones are all familiar here too.  :D

We have a very similar climate to England, and a lot of those imports as well.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Here's some fir cones from the yard tree. The cones are closed up now after fertilization and filling out fatter.

Things happen pretty quick in the north once growth begins. :)

Balsam fir grow like weeds up here. ;D

florida

SD- Amazing to me. I've never seen that before and had no idea there were 2 kinds of cones.

Let me add that my association with Forestry had me looking at all these trees as boards and slabs. I had to slap myself to stop thinking that way!

Here's a video of one of the oaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUOO-6jiADQ&feature=c4-overview&playnext=1&list=TLcsJXNqZqeg0
Retired now!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: florida on June 23, 2013, 08:43:08 AM
Let me add that my association with Forestry had me looking at all these trees as boards and slabs. I had to slap myself to stop thinking that way!

That's always the way with me, too.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

BudgetTreeCare

Absolutely Amazing!!! Beautiful Pictures!   8)
I am Curt Scott, the owner and operator of Budget Tree Care;a tree service company based out of Indianapolis, Indiana. I have more than 30 years of experience in the tree removal and service industry.  I love to talk trees!!

timberlinetree

Neat looking trees! Thanks for the pictures. It's nice to look at trees for their beauty and not dollar signs like I've been trained to do. Thanks for enlightening me and hope u and wife had a great trip.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Okrafarmer

Timberline, I believe you can see one of those copper beech trees if you go to Lexington, Mass. Right outside the gift shop for the battlefield, there's one. At least it's a beech tree with purple leaves.

Thank You Sponsors!