iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Newbie Question Re Cant Hooks

Started by plaindriver, June 22, 2013, 09:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plaindriver

Im starting to look at cant hooks. I think I want one with at least a 48" handle, for leverage, as I aint near as strong as I once was, and the back aint all that sturdy.
Are the 'jaws' or opening on all cant hooks the same size? Reason I ask, I saw one advertised that can handle "up to 12" logs", and most of the logs I have to mill are in the 20" range. Thanks.
Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

terrifictimbersllc

Hook should get bigger as handle gets longer. Ask or go by log size recommendation .
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

Head for Logrite in the left column for the best cant hook deal. Several sizes to pick from and the 48" is a good size. Don't think you need to worry much about the log size they will handle.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

My 48" LogRite has rolled logs up to 24", I haven't tried bigger yet, I would like a longer handle for logs bigger than that.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

I'd not go anywhere but Logrite. anything else is inferior. If you call them, they will recommend the right tool for what you have going. Tammy loves to talk to Forestry Forum members.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Woodkiller

+1 for Logrite. I have 2 and they are the goto at all times. 

Ga Mtn Man

I've used both the LogRite 48" and 60" and prefer the 60".
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

The below information was copied from Logrite's site.

The 48" cant hook is long enough to get the job done without the big arc of the longer handle. Combines good leverage with ease of use. 1.75" diameter  48" handle will grip an 8" - 32" diameter log.

The 60" cant hook offers an extra foot of leverage and a bigger hook for moving big logs easily. Will grip 10" - 36" diameter log.

The Megahook offers maximum leverage at 78" long.  It also features a larger hook. It is only available as a cant hook.
The 78" handle, will grip 15" - 45" diameter log
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SPD748

I have Logrite cant hooks in 30" and 60" flavors as well as a 48" peavy. I agree with others on the fine craftsmanship of Logrite products. My 60 has rolled 24" logs with ease.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

WDH

The 60" is more versatile and will be easier to use as you get more of a lever if you move a lot of logs.  You cannot beat the Logrite cant hooks.  They are superior to any other and well worth the investment. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

If I was to have just one,it would be a 60 incher. I also perfer a peavey,the one with the point to pry the logs apart. And to stick the point into the ground so it will stand up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

If you are cutting high quality, furniture grade hardwood on a manual mill, the point on the peavey can make more of a hole in the side of the cant whereas the cant hook is less likely to do so, and do less damage to the face of the board/cant.  The best one to use can depend on the kind of mill that you have and what you are cutting on it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

A lot depends on how a mill is set up.If yours is a manual mill you need leverage to load and turn.A hydraulic mill you just need to roll the logs on the loader arms.On most circular mills if their set up proper a short cant hook is the handiest like 2' likewise a hydraulic mill with a level deck.Before I ramble on, get two, short and long you won't be sorry. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

slider

I have a 60 as well and they are telling the truth ,logrite is a big step above the others.
al glenn

Nomad

A 60" Logrite for me to move logs.  A 48" for the young, strong guy helping me who doesn't understand leverage. ;D  (Makes me look good.)  And a couple of mill specials for the odd stuff on the mill.  But Logrite all the way!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

ValleyGuy

Right after picking up my mill I took the advice of the Forum and ordered a Logrite cant hook. I does work well but a friend helping out bent it the first day of use. Are they not supposed to be a bit tougher than that? (the friend wasn't all that strong.......) :-\

Larry

You must of been using a imitation because there is no way a Logrite can be bent in normal use.

I have a 48" and 60" modified Dixies.  Also have the Logrite Mega hook.  The big Logrite gets used the most because it will do everything the 60" does easier and faster.  The 48" just sees a little use.  I might order a Logrite Mill Special as it looks handy.

I do prefer my big green fork lift over all of those manual gadgets. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Shotgun

Quote from: ValleyGuy on June 24, 2013, 05:49:12 PM
Right after picking up my mill I took the advice of the Forum and ordered a Logrite cant hook. I does work well but a friend helping out bent it the first day of use. Are they not supposed to be a bit tougher than that? (the friend wasn't all that strong.......) :-\

Would you mind telling us where you ordered it from?
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jeff

It wasn't a logrite then, and if it was, they would want it. As asked, where did you get it?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Valley Guy could have been fooled like I was. For 20 years I had helped a guy mill using wooden handle hooks.
After buying my own mill, I was turned on to the best cant hook on the market......LOGRITE.

But what clicked in my memory was the Blue color.

When I saw the Logrite on the F.F. I said to myself, I know a place in town that sells these and I won't have to order one. When I went to this place, I began inspection of their hook......it was NOT a Logrite but was made of cheap metal but was painted to resemble the Logrite.

I didn't buy it but was almost fooled. I came back and ordered my via the Forum.

A lot of newbies get fooled this way. I was....almost!  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

It is very understandable how a person could be tricked.  Knockoffs also pattern their labels to resemble Logrites.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

I got my FF special orange Logrite cant hook last year. One log was especially tough to roll, so I hooked a chain around the handle, then back to the hitch on my Dodge. Log rolled and zero impact to the cant hook. I'll never buy another brand. 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

tyb525

Yeah, I've put all my weight (and then some...) on my logrite handle, driven over it with a truck, use it as a pry bar on the mill to lift the ends of really heavy logs to place shims....and more... and it isn't crooked at all. The other nice thing is it is all aluminum (I believe the hook is?) so you can leave it outside if you want and it won't rust or compromise the integrity.

One more thing...that hook BITES into the logs like a gator!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

I like the gator comment.   ;D   Gators are like grits in Maine,not much of them are here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!