iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit blower side cover gasket easy to replace?

Started by logman81, June 22, 2013, 08:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Have a question about replacing the side gasket, the one facing towards the front of the skidder. Is it easy to replace? Mine is leaking oil on the starter and would like to prevent that from happening.
Precision Firewood & Logging

240b

Try snugging up the bolts first. may just be a loose bolt.

giant splinter

Not sure what model you have but it is a project. snugging up the bolts as previously posted might work for you and making a heavy foil or tin diverter can get you by till your next visit from a mechanic.
roll with it

logman81

I'll try snugging the bolts first, it's a 353.

240b

Is it leaking inside too? The whole thing probably needs a reseal, I don't remember it being a terrible job. Course its been 15 years.

logman81

No just the outside the engine had a rebuild not to long ago.

John Woodworth

It's a easy jub, just pay attention to what you are doing and keep things clean, are the blower housing end housing gaskets wet or showing sighns of leaking? if so the blower seals are leaking, they arent a bad job either but it's best to leave that to someone with expierience as the rotors haved to be timed and the end housings must be replaced on the same ends they came off from as they are interchangeble for left or right mounts.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

bushmechanic

You will have to remove the blower from the engine to change the front gasket as you cannot get the long bolts out to change the gasket. The inside gasket isn't that bad as the new ones have glue on them so they stick on to help with assembly.

logman81

Thanks guys I will tighten the bolts and run it once I get the new pins in it.

Thank You Sponsors!