iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2013 Fire Season

Started by Ron Scott, June 21, 2013, 04:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Statement from Chief Tidwell on the death of firefighter Luke Sheehy

It is with a very heavy heart I write to inform you of the loss of a firefighter, a smoke jumper, and one of our Forest Service family members. Luke Sheehy, a 28-year-old firefighter from Susanville, Calif., died June 10 as a result of injuries received on a wildfire on the Modoc National Forest in northeast California. Luke, a member of the California Smokejumpers based out of Redding, was struck by a falling dead tree on the Saddle Back Fire in the South Warner Wilderness about 15 miles southeast of Alturas, Calif. Efforts to resuscitate him were not successful. Our hearts go out to the family and friends of this brave young smokejumper who lost his life working with his team. We are launching a full review into the cause of his death to learn everything we can to prevent future tragedies like this.

The Chief's Newsletter
~Ron

beenthere

That is sad to hear about Luke Sheehy.

Just the other day, I was in the woods with the tractor. Didn't hear anything, but turned to look back and a dead tree was across my path about 75' behind me.

Prevention, other than just not going in the woods or forest, might be the only way to prevent such tragedies.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

CNN reports that 18 firefighters from The Prescott Fire Dept were killed on the Yarnell Fire, NW of Phoenix.
~Ron

curdog

Prayers sent to the families of granite mountain hotshots. This is a sad and historical moment in wildland firefighting.

thecfarm

All the deaths are sad to hear. That 18 is real bad. I suppose all at one place,in a group? So sad to hear of this.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

To leave your condolences, visit the Granite Mountain Hotshots Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/PrescottGraniteMountainHotshots
~Ron

Ron Scott

The Fire Line. This recently produced video places emphasis on the rural and urban development into wildlands in Colorado and the consequences of living and fighting fires in these situations.

http://www.denverpost.com/fireline/ci_24638312/watch-fire-line/#ooid=42Y3N3aTrm_EwqOh8ezi6qtZhtzlbLA_
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!