iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some advice on how to handle this Osage Orange log.

Started by JSwigga, June 21, 2013, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSwigga

Got a call today about a osage orange tree that was down.  They were telling me it was over 4ft diameter at the butt.  I get a lot of people that confuse diameter with circumference.  I thought that was the case until I pulled up and saw this beast.  It's by far the largest osage orange I have ever come across.   Now the question is what the heck do I do with it.  My father wants to throw it on the lucas slabber and cut table size slabs.   What do you guys think would be the best way to mill this?

60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

Ianab

QuoteMy father wants to throw it on the lucas slabber and cut table size slabs.

This.

Because the log is short and knotty I don't think you are going to get a lot of clear straight grain boards out of it. But some table slabs would look awesome, and probably be more valuable then boards anyway.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JSwigga

The large log is about 8ft long and then it splits off into two.  I was wondering if I cut a bunch of bow blanks out of it.  If that would sell better.  But then again i really don't know anything about what makes a good bow blank and what doesn't. 
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

hackberry jake

That is one ug-lee log. I would make table tops out of it. maybe picnic table tops. Thats what I did with my monster osage anyways

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

JohnM

I don't think it would be good for bows, too big, too knotty, etc.  FF member Klicker would be the one to ask.  I'm thinking it'd make for some cool looking tables.  My 2 cents. :)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Ianab

You can always resaw one of the table tops into smaller pieces later, if you find that it's suitable (and worth more).

If you cut it for bow blanks, and it doesn't make the grade, then it's a lot of firewood.

Because it's a bit ugly and knotty I'd be doing table tops. Table tops with knots and funky grain are MORE valuable. Bows with knots and funky grain.. not so good.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Klicker

Bow staves are normal split not cut to follow the grain. Large knots do not work in bows.
2006 LT 40 HD

JSwigga

table slabs it is!  Thank you all for making my decision easy. 8)   I'll post pics when we slab it.

hackberry jake

With all the nasty growths and the age of the tree, you are likley to find some osage spalting. Its a bright rustish red color that runs through the wood. Simply beautiful.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Fla._Deadheader

I would run a metal detector over every inch of that baby.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

That looks like a lot of our lower grade mesquite logs. The big base cracks and ingrown bark, combined with spiral grain will reduce your yield dramatically. I also suspect there will be some internal rot in the center and internal crotches.

I would start by opening it up a little to get an idea of how bad it is inside. Table slabs of this type of material may just fall apart after it gets cut.

I hate cutting logs like this. Big and hopeful, but in the end we end up with a lot of pretty flooring, few nice boards and at least half waste. Plus these kinds of logs take a long time to mill and will usually eat a lot of blades up in the process.

I hope your luck is better than mine, but that is my experience.

Please let us know how it works out in photos and notes. That would be helpful to add your experience with this one to the forum.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ianab

QuoteTable slabs of this type of material may just fall apart after it gets cut.

True, that's a chance you take...

I've never cut Osage Orange, but if that was a local cypress log it would probably be solid, and stay intact. The knots would limit how many good boards you got, but give some interesting table slabs. I've seen some that  where just a collection of knots with bark around them  ;D

Anyway, with a clip on slabber you can open the log and see what is going on, and if you want, remove the slabber and saw it normally. Even swap back later in the log?

Also, if your table slab does fall in 1/2, you can still resaw it into 500 pen blanks later.  :D

Ian

dboyt

Around here, it would go for firewood.  Should make pretty slabs if it doesn't break apart.  You cuts your wood and you takes your chances.  Hackberry, did you go and get yourself a Lucas & slabber????
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Seaman

J,
with logs like that, I have been starting with the blade, cutting boards for aprons, then 4x4s or so for legs, till I get to a wide surface. Then I change to the slabber for tops, then change back to the blade to finish the bottom third. Works well so far.
Narrow slabs are not that valuable, I know you can put them together, but I like to have the rest of the table from the same log. Just my penny and a half.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

hackberry jake

Quote from: dboyt on June 23, 2013, 07:44:18 AM
Around here, it would go for firewood.  Should make pretty slabs if it doesn't break apart.  You cuts your wood and you takes your chances.  Hackberry, did you go and get yourself a Lucas & slabber????
No, I wish. I loaded the log on the trailer and hauled it to a guy I know that has a slabber. I sure would like a bladed lucas ;)

rbhunter

It looks like it has been cut for awhile. The sparks may fly when you cut it.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

JSwigga

We ended up slabbing this devil beast log. We laid the slabs out to let the sawdust thaw out that froze to the face overnight.  But they turned out as about as well as we expected. 

this was probably the best of the bunch - 48" wide

SPIKER

When I saw the first photos I thought it might have started life as two close together trees, that split almost seems like it from the two main branches down.?

Looks pretty nice tho  8)  Hope they hold together for ya.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

WDH

I have not sawn much osage, but what I did saw wanted to crack at the pith. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Most large osage trees I have seen have had a big crack/cavity. In the middle naturally. I think it is due to the wood having different shrink/swell properties than more common trees but what do I know.

Delawhere Jack

A milling client told me today that his father stepped on an osage orange fruit one time and it squashed and coated his boot. A week later all the stitching and the shoelaces fell apart..  :o Highly acidic apparently.

Seaman

Nice lookin slabs J, did the chains dull pretty quick?
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Thank You Sponsors!