iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking t make some taxidermy deer head panels from a pine log

Started by rasorbackQ, June 20, 2013, 02:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasorbackQ

Has anyone on here ever sawed a big log on an angle to form a flat panel oval shaped with bark all the way around?
If so how did you support the log to cut it and at what angle did you cut?

Thanks for reading, Steven

drobertson

Yes, and I set the log between the rails, about 45 degrees, used two 4x6's on each side to help support while clamping the stock, the stock was 4' long.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

wetdog

Quote from: drobertson on June 20, 2013, 02:56:35 PM
Yes, and I set the log between the rails, about 45 degrees, used two 4x6's on each side to help support while clamping the stock, the stock was 4' long.  david
How did you keep the bark from falling off after drying?

drobertson

I cut some for my daughters wedding, and sealed it with a clear coat from a can, still on after a year, the walnut I did for a customer, he used a high dollar mix, not sure what it was, but he came by two days ago wanting more, and they are for plaques of the same nature,  he was very pleased in the finished product.  I would say, displace and replace the sap.  It should work,  david 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

scully

I bleed orange  .

drobertson

Hey Scully, this is true with walnut,  the white oak I used for my daughters sign in board however is still holding the bark!  I still can hardly believe it,  and it is a year and a half old,  I know there are treatments for this , just don't know off hand the name,   david

WDH

The best way to retain the bark is to fell the tree in the winter when the tree is dormant and not growing. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rasorbackQ

Thanks Drobertson .   Think the way to keep the bark on is  drying very slowly.
Thanks for reading, Steven

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Once you drop your tree in the winter......never let the bark see rain, or hot sunshine again.
I've done this a lot. Drastic change in humidity and temperature will cause the bark to release.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Seaman

Next time you saw a nice walnut with a big limb, leave a foot or so of limb, point it up on saw, and cut.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Thank You Sponsors!