iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust in my pockets..

Started by janhalvor, June 20, 2013, 05:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

janhalvor

Yesterday I finally got some sawdust in my pocket! :)

I got the mill set up at a temporary place at my farm. I was able to saw a couple of test logs, and I really liked doing it! ;)

Today the sun is shining again, and I´m looking forward to getting out and make some more sawdust after dinner :)

EZ Boardwalk JR, Volvo BM 430, MF 675, Pilkemaster Evo 36 firewood processor.

thecfarm

Looks like The Little Guy is happy too. Have fun sawing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nomad

Looks great.  It appears your off-bearer (or is it operator in training? ;D) is ready for work, too.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

Congrats on the sawdust and also the "helper".   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnM

Congrats!  Looks like a great set-up.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

dboyt

We've been waiting for these photos ever since you first joined the forum.  Congratulations, and thanks for posting them.  How hard was it to get the mill shipped to Norway?  You and your helper will soon have the sawdust in your shoes & everywhere else, too.  Looks like you'll have a lot of experience for good memories.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

janhalvor

Thanks alot for all the feedback! :)

My "off bearer" enjoys the sawing very much, but he stays at a safe distance when I´m sawing, Safety First! :)

The shipment to Norway was not a problem. I use a Norwegian company called Jetcarrier, and they have a New Jersey location from where they send the items received from their customers, over seas to either Sweden, Denmark or Norway. The total freight was quite expensive though, around 1600$ from Missouri to Norway.

So far I really like the EZ boardwalk JR, It seems to be a solid built sawmill with some smart details. Very happy with my choice so far!   

Chuck White

Good to hear that you've received the mill and got a little sawdust on it!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

The mill looks good there.  That's a beautiful place you've got.  Is it your plan to build a shed roof off of the barn to cover the mill?

Are there no mill manufacturers in Norway (or other nearby countries)?  Just curious.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

EZland

Congrads on the mill.  Nothing like those first couple of cuts.   Smell of fresh sawdust! 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

moosehunter

At my place the nice lady that does the laundry DOES NOT LIKE the sawdust in the pockets :D :D :D
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Chuck White

Sawdust gets cleaned out of the pockets here too, otherwise I'll be reminded!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

janhalvor

Ga Mtn Man: Yes, I´m planning to build a shed roof from the barn. There are ( as far as I know) none bandsawmill manufactures in Norway, but you can get Norwood, Wood Mizer and Lennartsfors from dealers in Norway. Sawmills are quite expensive in Norway though (High cost country), so after doing some research, I found out that I could buy the EZ Boardwalk JR including freight and extras for the same amount that a Woodmizer LT10 would have cost me. :)

Ga Mtn Man

You made a good choice.  I haven't heard of anyone who regretted buying an EZ mill.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

scully

Tractor with forks awsome ! Make sure you gave yourself enough room ,or next thing you know you will be in bark rips and edgeings up to your neck !
I bleed orange  .

roghair

Congratulations!
Do you have logs from your own land? What species do you plan to saw?
What are the smart details on the EZ you are referring to; just curious, maybe I can learn from them.
built a sawmill

janhalvor

Roghair: Yes, I have logs from my own land, mainly pine and spruce.
I guess every different sawmill has its own smart details, and I´m a real newbie sawyer, but I like "garage door spring" system on the sawhead up/down, making adjustments on the sawhead effortless. There is also a smart detail on the blade lube. When I pull the handle to engage the sawblade, there is a rod connected from this handle to a ball-valve that turns the blade lube on and off as you engage/disengage the sawblade.
I don´t know if this features are unique to EZ boardwalk, but I sure like them :)

ND rancher

Congratulations on getting your mill to Norway! It has been interesting watching roghair's project evolve to cutting his first wood and your mill's trip across the ocean and your first first wood photo's.Keep the photo's coming,it's great to see other parts of the world.     Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

bandmiller2

Jan,what are you planning  to do about sharpening and setting your bands.?Its embarrassing to be standing at the cash register and pull out a handful of change and sawdust you hate to dump it on the floor and it feels funny to put it back in your pocket.Enjoy your new mill,word will get around and you'll be busy. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

janhalvor

bandmiller2: I´m not 100% sure what to do with the sharpening of the blades yet.. I got to options: Either buy a sharpening equipment, like the one EZ boardwalk sells, or I can send the blades to a company for sharpening..
The total price for the EZ Boardwalk sharpening equipment, incl freight will be around 600$. The cost for sending the blades to a company that will do the sharpening and setting of the teeth, is around 20-25$ per blade..
On the "long" term, there is no doubt that the most reasonable is to buy the sharpening equipment :)

The sawing has come to an stop for now, I got a call from work last day, and now I am on my way offshore again.. Can´t wait to get back home and do some more sawing :)

bandmiller2

Jan,how much does it cost you for a new band,seems pricey to have them sharpened. Frank C.

janhalvor

I don't know the exact cost for a blade here in norway, but a Timberwolf blade from Ez Boardwalk costs around 25$ pluss shipping cost and norwegian taxes. I guess the total price for one blade, including everything is around 40$.
I'm thinking about buying 10 more blades pluss the sharpener kit from Ez Boardwalk. I will then have 19 blades and sharpening equipment myself. I think thats the best solution for me.

dboyt

You might also look into either buying or building a tooth setter to go with your sharpener.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

bandmiller2

Jan,your right if your going to do much milling sharpening your own is your best option.Don't know if your handy working metal but your a farm boy and I'am sure you can do a lot.With the new CBN profile wheels its not a great task to build a sharpener.Study pictures and vidios of sharpeners on this forum and build your own.If your offshore on oil or gas rigs most of them have a machine shop and always someone that's handy working them.A simple single tooth setter is not hard to build.Frank C.

janhalvor

Sign of life..

I have now owned my own sawmill for some months, and its time for me to make an update on this old topic :)

I must say that I really like my EZ Boardwalk JR sawmill, I have only used it for a couple of small jobs this summer, but she brings a smile to my face every time I see her ;)

I have plans to make the sawmill even more portable, by adding some extra iron and some swivel jacks. I got the ideas by reading LOTS of topics and posts on this forum :) I will try to post some pictures of the modification job as soon as I start with it.

I bought 8 cubic meters of oak for a couple of weeks ago, and this will be my last job before I start with the modification job. The logs seems to be of good quality, with a average length of 4-4,5 meter, and a average diameter of 30 cm i guess. Below are a couple of photos I took of the first log i cut.

Thank You Sponsors!