iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

smart phone app

Started by smwwoody, June 22, 2013, 03:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

Hi All

I am looking for an app that is a daily log or journal.

i want to be able to record things like weather, production, hours worked, number of employes, subcontractors, breakdowns, road conditions,  fuel used,  current market prices, and general comments.

Does anyone know of anything like this out there.

it would be great if it was able to transfer to a computer to look at the data.

it could also be totally computer based.

Thanks

woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Tom the Sawyer

smwwoody,

Sounds like you need a database.  I have one for my milling business and have used this software program for years.  Before smartphones I used it on my Palm devices.  HanDBase has hundreds of free databases that you can download and modify for your own use.  It is not difficult to build your own database and include exactly what you need.  Mine is an Android device but they have versions for Blackberry and iPhone. 

It will generate reports and lets you sort and filter the results.  It syncs with a desktop version and will also sync with MS Access if you wish.  Mine calculates my board footage production and milling fees, time per log, daily production, etc.  The more information you put in the more you'll be able to get out of it.

There are other software programs, this one works for me.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Leigh Family Farm

The one I used as a journal for a while was NotePlus for the iPhone. It worked good but the problem was my thoughts were faster than I could type (or write in the iPad version). I agree with Tom, a simple database should be all you need. Also, if you hook up a small weather station you can probably have the info imported automatically into the database.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Tom the Sawyer

Just found another smartphone app today that looks like it will be extremely handy.
SawlogCalc Pro was only 2.99 for the Android version.  Other versions are available as is a free version, without any ads but limited functionality.   www.boardcalc.com
[Update - available for Windows PC, Palm, and Android platforms, not for iPhone or Blackberry at this time.]
Enter log dimensions and species, it'll calculate three different log scales and estimate the weight of the logs.  Uses a formula for large end diameter or you can enter it.  Keeps a running tally for total board feet and total weight.  Can keep a multiple tallies in memory and will export to a spreadsheet or send a tally as text in the body of an email.  Measurements can be entered in many formats including fractions and Metric.  Has about 100 species in memory for weight calculations.

Very easy to use, many personalized setting options, and only $3 the pro version.  I'm sure it'll be quite handy on my site visits.    smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Thank You Sponsors!