iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging fun, Russian style

Started by rmack, June 18, 2013, 12:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmack

don't know if this has been posted before, but I just ran across it, also some general river crossing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTaUy4RWO7E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqI8QsAZAYQ
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

ancjr

I take it the guy acting as ballast isn't wearing a seatbelt.   no_no

:D

CCC4

Awesome find! Thanks for posting!

....I want some of those U-Joints and drive shafts!

Wash. Tinner

Ive seen those videos before, those dudes are crazy!!!! Especially the river crossing ones.

Okrafarmer

It's all fun and games if you don't have to pay for the replacement parts.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: Okrafarmer on June 19, 2013, 08:29:37 AM
It's all fun and games if you don't have to pay for the replacement parts.

Man is that ever the truth.  As long as someone else has to pay for the repairs people will do just about anything to equipment.  You wouldn't catch me trying to cross whitewater like that in any vehicle other than a boat.

rmack

one of those river crossing videos shows what looks to be some sort of bus stranded in the middle of the river, it's full of soldiers... might be russian army.

I also cringe when I see how some of that equipment is being used, but they are doing a job... I don't think it's about joyriding.

it just looks like fun.  :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Axe Handle Hound

Here's a technical question from someone with a very limited understanding of engines...I have seen vehicles like these equipped with a "snorkel" for air intake so they don't drown out if the motor is submerged.  What I'm wondering is what happens to the cooling fan when it's submerged?  Does it continue to turn through the water?  I would think it would have a really hard time doing so wouldn't it?

pineywoods

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on June 20, 2013, 09:12:47 AM
Here's a technical question from someone with a very limited understanding of engines...I have seen vehicles like these equipped with a "snorkel" for air intake so they don't drown out if the motor is submerged.  What I'm wondering is what happens to the cooling fan when it's submerged?  Does it continue to turn through the water?  I would think it would have a really hard time doing so wouldn't it?

Yeah, makes a pretty good propeller... but unless the electrical system is water proof, you don't go very far. Redneck fix is wedge a chunk of wood in the fan blades so it can't turn. Water lubes the slipping fan belt...Don't ask how I know this...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

If the fan can't turn due to the water then the belt just slips, and then the water does cool the slipping fan belt. No redneck fix needed then ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowstorm

if the truck has air brakes and an air clutch fan it wouldnt be running unless the water temp was high or they could have it so it could be shut off.

ancjr

I thought most auto fans were viscous clutch that only engaged above a certain temp, which is well above the temperature any terrestrial water would be at.

chevytaHOE5674

Even a mechanical fan with a fluid clutch is always spinning. Just when it gets to a certain temp the clutch "locks" the fan up so it is spinning at engine speed. When the clutch isn't locked up the fan spins but just slower than the motor and somewhat freely.

Plenty of radiators have been punctured by a bent fan blade from hitting deep water. The real "fix" for deep water crossings is an electric cooling fan with a master cut off switch in it.

ancjr

Point taken... the damage would be done before water reached the clutch hub.   :-\

Seaman

Lots of military vehicles have an electric fan with an off switch. If you forget to turn it off, the fan blades bent when they contact the water and slice up rad and hoses.
I got to test some of the very first HMVEE;s many years ago, learned a lot and spent a lot of your tax dollars. :o
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Axe Handle Hound

I'm glad I asked....learned something new today!

thenorthman

I looked into how much one of them bad boys would cost and checked out some of the specs at the same time

they are rated at something like a 6' water crossing depth

46000 pound payload

full time 6x6

can be equipped with self loader, a cabin, dump truck, powered trailer (like a poor/crazy mans forwarder)

pretty freakin neat really, price had more zero's then I am usually accustomed to and that didn't include importation and shipping...
well that didn't work

Okrafarmer

In a book I have about bulldozers, there is an account of D-8's being used during an amphibeous landing. The military personnel drove the D-8s out of an LST or similar landing craft and used them in the relatively shallow water to steady the exit ramp for the other vehicles. An operator on each D-8. They said they took the fan belts off. They ran the dozers in water up to the operator's waist.

Diesel engines have fewer sensitive outer parts to be messed up-- those old D-8s were pony-start and would have had ZERO electrical use once the pony was turned off. Being submerged in water would have cooled the radiator plenty without the fan being involved. Hopefully, the fluid reservoirs were checked for seepage after the incident, when they drove them up on the beach, but knowing how our tax dollars are usually stewarded, they probably just slapped the fan belts back on and got to work clearing the mine fields.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

thecfarm

Hope they power washed the salt off.  ::)   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Something tells me I doubt it, and something also tells me that the remains of those D-8's can probably still be found on that island, whichever island it is.  :-\

Axe Handle Hound

Wouldn't the dozers have still used an electrical fuel pump?  I discovered that little feature on my diesel truck one day when the battery died.  I noticed it when the headlights started to dim, but seeing as how I was nearly home I just kept going thinking I didn't need the battery anyway.  I had plenty of time to learn otherwise while I changed the battery on the side of the road in the dark in winter.   

Okrafarmer

The WWII era Caterpillar diesels had mechanical fuel pumps. My dad ran his 49 D-4, and his two D-6's by starting the pony motor by hand. There wasn't even a battery on there, though there was a place to put one. He started the po-mo's with a pull cord. The Pony motor had a direct engagement drive to the main engine, engaged by a clutch. I can't remember if it used the tractor's main clutch or a separate one. The only electrical feature was the magneto on the pony motor, and the pony motor was shut off as soon as the diesel was running safely. When equipped with a battery and an electrical starter on the pony motor, the main engine would have a generator to charge the battery, and lights could be hooked up to it too. My dad's three didn't have batteries.

Thank You Sponsors!