iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back in the saddle,(with a leg up!)

Started by drobertson, June 17, 2013, 05:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Well after two surgeries, and two months, I got back in the saddle milling today, 17 layers of 2" one live edge, and twenty layers of 1"  ERC,  still a pile to go, but not a bad start. Thank God for a strong son, Bret who put up with me through this, it was a good day, only one clogged coolant fitting, a minor set back,  too bad it all goes to the doctors, no offense intended,  it feels good to walk without too much pain, just stiff,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

Very good to read that you're on the mend and back to milling, too. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

drobertson

thanks clww! it feels good! I have a ways to go, but looking better for sure,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Andy White

David
That is a nice stack of cedar. I bet it did feel good to be back to cutting. One question, after just reading WDH's post about stained Maple, does Cedar stain like that or like SYP? Inquiring minds want to know!               Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

flashhole

Nice job, pretty rewarding to see a good days work.
Remember - Always have your Democrats spayed or neutered - Anne Coulter

drobertson

Andy, I have not seen it, the same customer drop off these logs back in the winter, I flat stacked all of it, he said not to worry about it, one stack stayed in the shed for several weeks before my surgery,  after getting back he had a good report on the lumber, it does get a little white fuzz, very minimal, no pic to show, but can be wiped off with your hand.  This stuff dries so fast it blows my mind,  I have yet another few thousand feet to cut, a major part 16', these guys are great to work for, very understanding,   david

drobertson

Flash, you are right, I have been out walking around(under the wife's eye) for the last 7 weeks, this felt real good.  And Bret's help tailing was much welcome for sure.  It came out to around 1400 bdft for the day, just over 4 hours work.  I was using the Lennox C sharps on this job, not a bad blade,   david

Andy White

David
Gotta get me some of that!!!          Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WmFritz

Good to hear David ... nice Whack O Cedar!
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Knute

Bet that building really smells good - and no bugs.

drobertson

Knute, funny you say that!  there was a post about yellow poplar allergies,  this stuff is so pungent, it burns the nose a lil, but it does smell good!   david

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JustinW_NZ

Good to hear your on the mend!

A bit of milling and you will be back to normal in no time :) - (Sore, broke, stressed - that's normal sawmilling isn't it?  :D )
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

RayMO

Good to see you are able to get back to work. Love to open up the nice big cedars and admire all the red and purple hued figure ! Nice and lite to handle compared to a lot of wood as well...
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

Magicman

David, it's good to hear that you are exercising the body sawmill again.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AdamT

Good job David! Glad to see you behind the reins once again!

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

samandothers

really nice looking cedar.  Glad you are in good enough shape to be cutting again!

terrifictimbersllc

Looks great!  You're in the pink!  8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

It feels good don't it? Keep your wife's eye close by. You don't need to over do it and get set back twice as long. You and me are not Superman,no matter what we think.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Glad to see that you're back at it David!

That Red Cedar sure is some nice lookin' stuff!

I've only ever sawed about 40-60 board feet of it, sure saws easy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

slider

al glenn

justallan1

It's always good to hear when someone is back to what they like doing.

Allan

dboyt

It's all been said, but I'll add my 2c anyway.  Good to hear you're sawing again. 8)  Try to resist the urge to push it too fast.  Nice stack of cedar!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!