iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shaker Bench

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, June 17, 2013, 01:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

There are so many beautiful examples of woodworking here that I have been hesitant to show mine.
But here goes. :D

My cousin asked me to make her a bench like my father and grandfather used to make.
It is a simple bench and I decided to learn how to make butterfly joints while I was at it.
The main wood is cherry and the butterflies are walnut.
I cut the tree, milled the wood and built the bench.
Hope you like it.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

54Dutchman

Very nice- good job.  The workmanship & cherry wood are great. 8) 8) 8)

WmFritz

I like it very much. That is really something to be proud of.  8)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

hackberry jake

Thats a beautiful bench! I love the contrast on the butterflies.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

grweldon

No need to be hesitant!  That bench looks great!  I make a few small items where I showcase beautiful woods and the bench sure falls in to that catagory!  Wait a few years until the patina develops on the cherry and it will look even more beautiful!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

clww

Beautiful job! 8) 8) 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

woody329

Very nice, great workmanship, should last a lifetime.

Andy White

Weekend_Sawyer
Excellent project. The Cherry is my all time favorite for projects that must finish well, and look good. You guys are making me want to park the mill awhile and go back in the shop for some projects.             Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

samandothers

Wow!  b- u - t-  full.   

Are the  butterflies functional to join wood together or just for looks?   I have been wanting to try some butter fly splices.  Not trying to offend or anything, just don't know and am curious.

Weekend_Sawyer

They are functional. The big ones in the center along with a spline are holding the board's together fans one small ones are holding cracks together.

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

WDH

Very nice character in that cherry.  You did a fine job, and I know that your cousin is happy.  You are a good man. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on June 17, 2013, 01:47:40 PM
I cut the tree, milled the wood and built the bench.

It does not get any better than that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lud

Real nice job.   How long had the wood dried when you made the bench?  Were the bowties and bench pretty equally dry?  What's your glue of choice?  Mine's Titebond III these days......

Again, real nice....... 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Weekend_Sawyer

Thank you all for your kind comments. I have always wanted to get into woodworking and I consider this bench my official start!

Lud, I milled the cherry in 03. It came from a horse farm I used to work on. They were getting ready to sell the property to a developer and gave me some of the trees. I can't quite remember when I milled the walnut but it too has been quite a few years. It was leftover from an 8' church cross I made for my brothers church, it was from a standing dead walnut on their property. We dropped it for them, made the cross and I got to keep the leftovers. I know I moved the cherry into my basement around 06.

I didn't check the moisture content but I'm thinkin they were pretty equally dry.

My wood glue is good old Elmers wood glue.

Thank You Sponsors!