iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heating a grease fitting

Started by boltbender, June 17, 2013, 07:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boltbender

I was reading some older posts of shop tricks this morning and I read one that said that you can sometimes free up a frozen grease zerk by heating it.  This will sometimes work but it can be deadly under the right conditions.  I worked as a welder and heavy equipment mechanic at Central Ohio Coal Co. [home of the BIG MUSKIE dragline] and we saw a heated zerk blow out of it's seat and fly through the air like a 38 special bullet, so please do not get in front of one while heating it. I do not mean to put anyones' tip down, I just don't want anyone to get hurt or worse.

Al_Smith

It's common practice or was at one time to heat up frozen king pins in big trucks .I've seen the zert let loose and literally spray fire from the molten grease .You have to be carefull .

Sixacresand

I never knew the brand name of grease fittings.  I always replaced them if they stopped up.  Sometimes I take the old ones and soak them in Gas.  I never thought about putting a torch to one and appreciate the tip. BTW, I worked around draglines most of my career, but never have seen one as huge as the "big muskie".  I googled it.  impressive. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

boltbender

Sixacresand:  I can tell you many facts about the Muskie if you PM me

Chuck White

Another word of caution about heating zerks!

If you are just trying to free it up to a point where it will take grease, don't overheat it or you will take the tension out of the little spring that hold pressure against the little ball bearing that seals the dirt out!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

turbo885

They can realy fly i have blown a few out heating pins. But why would anyone play around trying to heat a grease fitting when you can change it in a couple minutes and they dont hardly cost anything

Chuck White

Some of them don't change out quite so easy, it's my understanding that many of them on the Wood-Mizer mills are pressed in, and not threaded!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

turbo885

I deal with quite a few pressed in fittings on rolloff box rollers. Hit it with a hammer, drill it, thread a new one in. Most times 5 minutes its done unless it is in a hard to get to place.

zapperguy

You should try one of the tools that use hydraulic pressure and solvent such as transmission fluid or diesel.  No danger and work most of the time.  Someone at an expo suggested I come on here to supply help and answer any questions from those who have bought my tool (I will not mention unless asked, I am not here to advertise).  I have just found that there are many out there who do not know of this sort of product and many who have tried but got frustrated.  I would like to answer any questions.

Thank You Sponsors!