iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I don't know wha tthis log is

Started by bakerhardwoods, June 16, 2013, 07:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhardwoods

The wood appears to be soft.  Any ideas -- willow?

SwampDonkey

Willow probably, probably not box elder . Awfully crooked for a log, junk might be more like it. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bill m

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

low_48

CCC4

Looks similar to hickory around here.

Looks like a fine saw log to me, but I never did have the pleasure of only sawing perfect logs.

sandhills

SwampDonkey

Yeah, cottonwood could be to. Cottonwood, aspen and willow are all similar.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Migal

:D That dar would be a practice Log  8) Shouldn't hurt the saw blade much  :D
8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

bakerhardwoods

The first 8 or 9 feet has minor sweep and then it gets crazy crooked at the top.  We have a lot of eastern cottonwood in Indiana.  This of course could be cottonwood, but the bark is straighter or something about its appearance doesn't look like cottonwood usually looks.  The wood also seems much softer than silver maple and I thought cottonwood was about like silver maple.  I cut a chunk off of the butt and cut it on a miter saw and it really grips a saw blade.  It came with trees I bought from clearing for a subdivision and they stopped well back from the creek where I would expect to find the cottonwoods. 

WDH

It is sassafras.  You should be able to smell the lemony odor, especially if you can get some twigs.  Also, the twigs will be green.  If you nick off the outer bark, you will see that cinnamon color in the bark. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

I didn't realize sassafrass wood was that light, I thought it was darker. I haven't milled any yet. We have some around here but not a lot.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

My first impression was sourwood, but he probably doesn't have it in Indiana. Then I thought of basswood. I'm not familiar enough with cottonwood, but I thought the bark would look different from that.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

SwampDonkey

I don't think sassafras would be in the soft category and I thought it was more yellow brown in color and ash-like grain. Basswood, wouldn't have those diamond like furrows in the bark. Hard to tell by the color of the bark, because on exposure it could go from white or yellow to a brown once the air hits it. Seems from that cut that the wood is a soft wood because it's fuzzed up some. Ash, hard maple, beech yellow birch don't get fuzzy along the cut.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

limbrat

Trust me is not a trust worthy statement. ;D But the only fuzzy cut is were the carbite toothed feller cut it off the stump and it would be difficult to find a log that looked more like sassafras.
ben

WDH

Quote from: limbrat on June 17, 2013, 08:13:14 PM
Trust me is not a trust worthy statement. ;D

I am deeply hurt..... :D

limbrat

I am deeply hurt..... :D
[/quote]
Dont believe a word of it.  ;D
ben

bakerhardwoods

I have a sassafras log in this batch and with the sassafras log the wood is darker, kind of brown with a rusty tint and the wood and bark smell like sassafras.  This log does not smell like sassafras.  It would take a leap of faith beyond trust to get to sassafras.

WDH

Maybe the smelly log has more heartwood.

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

limbrat

Bass dont grow here but the sassafras that i have cut that has some rot or spalt in it has a milder and sort of sour smell. Like a oak log gets a bad smell when it has rot or spalt in it.

This tree blow over in a storm. when i sawed it it didnt smell right but the leaves and the smell off the root ball said it was sassafras.
ben

Okrafarmer

While I have learned not to bet against WDH, Swampdonkey raises the points I was considering.

WDH

sandhills

OK I have to trust you  ;), after closer inspection the bark looks too "spiral" (for lack of better term) to be any cottonwood we have around here, but it's not far off.

bill m

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!