iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a gang saw

Started by Sawyerfortyish, April 27, 2004, 08:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

Been kicking around the idea of putting in a gang saw. The company I get my parts from said that they have a cornell edger that could be set up with thin kerf gang blades. Anybody running anything like this?They told me that they figure 25hp per blade. I would like to set it up with 10 blades. Since I have a 8V71 Detroit thats just a sittin here it's kind of got me thinking. One drawback is the saw will only be able to cut 6" boards. Thats ok for fencing but for barn siding thats 8 or 10" it's no help. I cut miles of fencing tho and it would be a lot quicker to make a few side cuts leave a 6"cant flip it down shove it through a gang. If any of you are running a gang you can feel free to jump in any time now. Tell me the do's and dont's and the why fors.

mur

Hi Sawyer40:
I have a Marathon Sash gang saw - 1955 vintage.  Throat is 16x16 inches.  I've put 10x12's through it and no problems.  We ran 1900 bf of 6x10 aspen cants through it today in one hour and five minutes.  The saw just pours the wood out.  They were common out West until the '60's.  Kerf is about .16-.17 inches per blade.  I've got mine cutting within 10 thou variance per board when it's all tuned.  Great for into the molder - no thick and thins to fight with and ruin the finish.  Take care.
Mur
Don't dream it, be it.

Thank You Sponsors!