iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Handiest tool I have in my wood shop ;)

Started by hackberry jake, June 13, 2013, 08:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Here is what I have been working on over the past few months.

Homemade and nearing completion finally  8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

That looks like fun. From scratch, or from a kit?

How about some description of the build?  Motors? steppers? control? programming?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

The bulk of the mechanical parts were destined for the scrap yard. The gantry (y axis) is a piece to an out of date camera system for webbed printng presses.work upgraded to a new system and said I could have the old one if I wanted it. The x axis is two 1.5" acme screws that came out of a scrap sheeter (machine that converts rolls of paper to sheets of paper). The z axis I bought. The electronics are all new. A gecko g540 stepper motor driver, two keling 906 oz nema 34 stepper motors drive the x axis. And the y and z axis are both keling 381 oz nema 23 motors. The power supply is a keling 5020. Z axis came from xzero. I got motor cables from cncrouterparts.com. its a porter cable router. As far as software goes, I have a student version of autocad that is good for two years. Cant beat a $3000 cad program for free ;) I am using vetrics cut2d for my cam software, and mach3 machine control software. One of the acme screws is bent slightly so I will be rebuilding my x axis shortly. After I get that done I will install all the limit/homing switches and ill be makin sawdust fly! Im gettin all excited just thinkin about it ;)

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

pineywoods

Quote from: beenthere on June 13, 2013, 08:40:09 PM
That looks like fun. From scratch, or from a kit?

How about some description of the build?  Motors? steppers? control? programming?

X2, Yeah  8)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lud

That is pretty darn cool!   What a great challenge for a computer oriented young fella!  Kudos!

None the less, the handiest tools in my wood shop are the two sharp pocketknives I carry ;) ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WmFritz

Quote from: hackberry jake on June 13, 2013, 08:59:51 PM
The bulk of the mechanical parts were destined for the scrap yard. The gantry (y axis) is a piece to an out of date camera system for webbed printng presses.work upgraded to a new system and said I could have the old one if I wanted it. The x axis is two 1.5" acme screws that came out of a scrap sheeter (machine that converts rolls of paper to sheets of paper). The z axis I bought. The electronics are all new. A gecko g540 stepper motor driver, two keling 906 oz nema 34 stepper motors drive the x axis. And the y and z axis are both keling 381 oz nema 23 motors. The power supply is a keling 5020. Z axis came from xzero...."

Holy Cow Jake, after this read , I got dizzy and had to lay down.  :laugh:

Looking forward to seeing it running.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

hackberry jake

There are four main types of linear motion used on these machines. Acme thread, ball screws, timing belts, and rack and pinion. This one uses acme on the x axis, timing belt on the y axis, and ball screw on the z axis. I will likley change out the timing belt on the y axis for acme thread in the near future. It works fine for wood but in aluminum you can tell it stretches a little under load. This has definitely been a learning experience. If you fellas decide to build a cnc machine in the future I would be more than happy to give you my .02.

Coach

Looks good Jake.  That's a tool I could use, to make inlay designs on guitar fretboards.

jueston

what's the bed size on that baby? I would really like to build a CNC router someday but I might just end up buying one because I don't know if I will ever have the time to build it, but if I did I think I would make sure it had a 4 by 8 bed, that way I don't have to cut up any sheet goods before I start routing....

hackberry jake

This one is 27" x 32" at the moment. I will gain a few inches on the x axis when I rebuild it. A 4x8 machine would take up half my shop. I am actually thinking about building an insulated shed to keep this one in. It would free up room in the shop and it would be easier to heat in the winter if I wanted to do any cool weather cncing. A 4x8 machine would make an awesome panel saw for sure!

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Larry

I'm impressed.  Both by the machine and all the knowledge your gaining making it operate. 8) 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DansSawmill

i've made a joe's hybrid cnc... 4x8 with rack and pinion...
works great, he's got plans for $100 along with access to the forum ( which is the best part )
building cnc's is a slippery slope thou, kinda like owning a sawmill :D

http://www.joescnc.com/
his new evolution build is a solid aluminum build
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

DR Buck

Quote from: Dan_Shade on June 13, 2013, 11:06:12 PM
What's A Sharp pocket  Knife?

I saw one in a old hardware store once.   :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

hackberry jake

After a few operator errors, I finally have something to show you guys. first sign  (thats worth showing). It took 6 different kinds of software/programs to get to the final product (not counting internet explorer). F-engrave is actually a pretty powerful program for v-carving once you get the hang of it and it's free  8). My student version of autocad has been extremely handy as well. I don't know what I will do without it when it runs out in a year or so.

Lud

That sure looks fine, Jake............. 8)

What's the size and how long did it take?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Warbird

Quote from: DR_Buck on June 19, 2013, 12:36:08 PM
Quote from: Dan_Shade on June 13, 2013, 11:06:12 PM
What's A Sharp pocket  Knife?

I saw one in a old hardware store once.   :D

Me too!  LOL LOL

Jake, that is seriously impressive.  Do you have the capability to take a small video of the machine in action and post it to YouTube?  Would love to see that!  Otherwise, keep those pictures of end products coming.

Texas Ranger

Back to the original question.  Any one mention the first aide kit, yet?  Seems it is my most go to tool.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

lowpolyjoe

hackberry jake

The sign is roughly 12"x30"  and it took about four hrs. It wouldn't have taken near as long with a higher end software im sure. But im cheap :)

drobertson

Nice work Jake, all the way around!  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

justallan1

Wow! Nice job, Jake.
I've been thinking about changing my vertical mill to cnc for projects like signs and scrollwork and I did most of the machining work helping a friend build a small version of what you've made. (he did all of the figuring and electronics ;D) I don't know everything about it by far, but know there's a lot of head scratching along the way.
You might look into Master Cam when your AutoCAD runs out. It's basically the same thing. I was using it 10 years ago and loved it. They had a student version then, just a thought.
Anyway, Great work.

Allan

hackberry jake

Rebuilt the x-axis. She's now 29"x48" and smooth as glass. :)

Thank You Sponsors!