iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pellet smoker/ cooker???

Started by Woodhauler, June 13, 2013, 08:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Looking at one called Traeger LiL'Tex, Any one use a pellet cooker? Any better then charcoal? Can smoke food with it and cook it like charcoal to.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Mooseherder

I've seen them at a Restaurant that we used to go to.
He had a couple of them but I don't remember the brand.  It made the best Beef Brisket.
They would smoke it overnight and it was ready for the next day.
I sure miss that place.  He closed down.  You could see it coming.
Too much help for the business he was doing and killer rent.
I was hoping to run into him and ask if he still had a unit he'd like to sell.

Mooseherder

I just googled them.
It was a Fast Eddy.
They're a little pricey for the homeowner.

gspren

Traeger makes several sizes and has a selection of different pellets. I don't have one yet but I have seen and tasted food cooked on one. I would want one with the thermostatic controls. I will be in Maine next week if your going to try one out!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

trainwreck

i have a the smallest treager they make,  jr i think?    its works well and they have awesome customer service. i have had a few problems with mine and they were very easy to work with and sent me the parts for free within a few days.  I use it 3-5 times a week year round.   i dont smoke meat on it, i use it more like a normal bbq. great unit wish mine was a bit biger.

For smoking meat i prefer to smoke it in a barrel type smoker with charcoal and small hardwood logs.

Sprucegum

I use my Treager every Sunday and love it.

I have smoked ribs and steaks when i have enough time. Otherwise I turn up the heat and use it like a regular BBQ except the meat doesn't turn black and taste like charcoal  ::). My favorite pellets are hickory; more heat and flavor than maple, apple or alder. Suits my taste anyway.

The unit is permanently plugged in so all I do is turn it on to the temperature desired and add meat  ;D

Woodhauler

Well i am now waiting on my new traeger grill! Hope it lives up to its name! ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Woodhauler

Got it today, just did a couple burgers!!  IT IS THE WAY TO FLY!

Woodhauler

Cooked Moose tenderloin tonite on it!!!  I am a big fan of my pellet cooker! 8)

Woodhauler

Well mine wouldn't light up so I called traeger and they are sending me a new controller, and hot rod for free! Also updating the cooking barrel for me for free. This company is top notch.

21incher

I have had the opposite experience of you with my Traeger. It is the biggest piece of crap I have ever wasted my money on. It is a fire hazard, and their customer service sucks. Right after the 1 year warranty ran out I was smoking with it and it went out of control. The temp went to 500 deg, the pellets in the hopper were on fire and there was a explosion in it that blew the lid open. The whole grill was so hot you could not touch any part of it without getting burned. I called for support and was told that happens and I had to adjust a P setting. I adjusted the setting per their instructions and after that it runs to hot to smoke properly and I no longer trust it. They finally replaced the drip tray that warped like a pretzel from the heat after sending them pictures, but did not care about the scorched electrical wires. Do a search on this and you will see it happens quite often with their grills. Friends don't let friends buy Traegers.  :(
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Woodhauler

Quote from: 21incher on May 02, 2017, 04:42:23 PM
I have had the opposite experience of you with my Traeger. It is the biggest piece of crap I have ever wasted my money on. It is a fire hazard, and their customer service sucks. Right after the 1 year warranty ran out I was smoking with it and it went out of control. The temp went to 500 deg, the pellets in the hopper were on fire and there was a explosion in it that blew the lid open. The whole grill was so hot you could not touch any part of it without getting burned. I called for support and was told that happens and I had to adjust a P setting. I adjusted the setting per their instructions and after that it runs to hot to smoke properly and I no longer trust it. They finally replaced the drip tray that warped like a pretzel from the heat after sending them pictures, but did not care about the scorched electrical wires. Do a search on this and you will see it happens quite often with their grills. Friends don't let friends buy Traegers.  :(
Sorry about your troubles, I have had nothing but ggod luck with mine. I left it out all winter and that is why it wouldn't work.

21incher

It's funny because I was talking to one of the Traeger salesmen at COSTCO a while back and he told me they knew they had a problem with them going out of control and they were working on a new controller without a P setting that would fix it. I wonder if that is what they are sending you as a replacement? They may be trying to keep from loosing more customers. Keep that thing away from your house when you use it to be safe.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

We sell them at the hardware store that I work at. We cook on one in the summer on Saturdays.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kingcha

I use smokinTex 1400  Electric smoker.   

I use small wood chunks in the smoke box.  It really does a nice job and you don't have to tend to it.

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Briankinley2004

Quote from: Kingcha on May 03, 2017, 12:15:28 AM
I use smokinTex 1400  Electric smoker.   

I use small wood chunks in the smoke box.  It really does a nice job and you don't have to tend to it.

Matt

I have a smokin tex too at the camp. Works very well. I had a cold plate in it for smoking cheese but someone lost it

gspren

My BIL has a Traeger for about 2 years and loves it, on a few occasions when I was there to taste it was great. I haven't heard of any problems with his.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Raider Bill

Cookshack electric smoker for the last 13 years. Fire and forget for perfectly smoked meat every time.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DFILER2

I've had my Traeger for 6-7 years and I wouldn't grill any other way. I have lots of friends who have them and I've never heard of anyone having a problem.

Woodhauler

All the parts showed up today, traeger is working better then new!

Thank You Sponsors!