iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

setting blade guides

Started by fivedogs, June 13, 2013, 07:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fivedogs

installed  new blade  guides   logs tampering  down as i get past  8 ft  checked the deck and the head of the mill  seems level

how do i check my guides are they too tight or unlevel  or pushing the blade down

throwing off the set ?

littlle  help would be appreciated

beenthere

Trying to follow along. Assume "tampering" means "tapering".

Can't imagine the guides pushing the blade down.

What mill?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ga Mtn Man

Your guide rollers must hold the blade parallel to the saw deck.  You need a blade alignment tool to do the job right.

This one is from Cook's or you can make your own like I did.  Woodmizer also sells one.  A torpedo level will get you by, assuming your mill is perfectly level.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

fivedogs

drobertson

fivedogs, not sure about your mill set up, but, if the cut is tapering down, threw the cut , the alignment is off, simple as that.  And if it takes 8' to show up it's not that bad, imo, find a tool, or way to correct the alignment, this should fix your issue.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Fivedogs. has the mill just done this once or with multiple bands.I would try a new band if she taperes then check alignment as mentioned. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

never finished

I'm not sure if the guides on the newer mills are the same as on my Oscar 36. Setting the guides tighter than  the book said helped on a few issues. It is very important to have the frame level cross ways the full length of the frame also. 

Happycamper

I have had my mill 3 months and use it occasionally. I checked my blade guides the other day and found one to be original size and the other 3/32nds smaller than original so it was not putting the correct amount of pressure on the blade. Bearings in both guides were ok.
                                  Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Happycamper

Another thought, hook angle and blade set can also do this, increase either or both a little bit 2 or 3 thou. and that might cure the problem. I have found blade set was the answer to many problems I was having. A sharp or dull blade will cut correctly with proper set but neither will cut right if the set is off.
I set and sharpen my blades by hand not with auto sharpener setter.
                                       Jim

Piston

Happycamper,
Did you take that picture in your avatar photo?  That's a good shot!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Happycamper

Piston,
  Yes, I was hiking in Yoho Nat. Park when I ran into a mother and three cubs. Another time I ran into a grizzly and two cubs but was too scared to click the camera, That was in the Kootenays.
                                       Jim

fivedogs

Thanks  for all the advice  i used a  small level  got them adjusted  real well

put a brand new blade on and the wood cut  straight as can be  loving it

thanks again for  taking the time to help me out

fivedogs   

Thank You Sponsors!