iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm wearing safety glasses MORE!

Started by Jeff, June 11, 2013, 03:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: tyb525 on June 14, 2013, 06:52:22 PM
. I like wearing safety glasses but I always get the cheap kind that get scratched up really easy, and those are no fun to wear. I guess I need to invest in a good pair!

That's a good point - I buy cheap harbor freight glasses.  They scratch pretty easy and sometimes the arms get loose over time and then they don't stay on my head. 

Can we get some recommendations for quality glasses? 

Also heard recently about custom ear protection that they squirt something in your ear to make a perfect mold.  I think the guy said they generally do it at motorcycle shows/conventions.  Sounds creepy but a good idea

Magicman

Check this out for the molded ear plugs:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Uvex coms in a variety of styles and are pretty rugged. Prices run from about $7 - $15. Do a google search. Many more brands are available.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

I wear screened goggles out in the bush. It rains a lot here and with wet brush slap'n your glasses and such you wouldn't be able to see what your cut'n with solid glasses. Need to install wiper blades and a heater for defog. And yes your body gets really warm when swinging a brush saw, so lots of steam. :D

Hmm, lots of steam and sawdust. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Sounds like you need to hook up with Steamsawyer and install an engine in your hip pocket.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bibbyman

Mary walks by and flinches and asked, "What did you do to your eye?". I don't know. Apparently I was whacked by something. It didn't hurt or have a vision problem but I went to the eye doctor. Didn't even get to see him.  Some lady technician said it was only a bruise and would start to clear up in two weeks.

After I got my blood sugar levels under control, my eyesight improved to the point where I only wear glasses to drive or watch tv.  I've started wearing safety glasses at the mill and anywhere else that may pose a hazard.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

:o  I say Ouch !!!  Now my eyes hurt.

BBTom

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

martyinmi

Quote from: Jeff on June 16, 2013, 07:44:00 AM
That made my eyes start to water!
I don't know whether you were kidding Jeff, but my right eye did actually start itching and watering up as I was looking at and reading Bibby's post!
Kinda weird how the mind and body react sometimes. :P
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Jeff

No, I wasn't. That happens with me all the time. If I see someone who has really irritated eyes, my eyes will start watering. I think it is like a yawn. You can get about 75% of people to yawn, simply by yawning yourself, or sometimes even talking about being tired and saying the word yawn a couple times. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

lowpolyjoe

Yikes Bibbyman!

Thanks for the ear and eye protection references guys.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Bibbyman

When looking straight ahead and lids normal open, the red was not too noticeable.  I had fun with people showing them my evil eye. Grossed them out.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

QuoteI had fun with people showing them my evil eye. Grossed them out.

I presume that was after the red showed up in that eye?   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dgdrls

If I'm not in regular glasses or suns I'm in safeties. 

Outside work with all the UV light wears me down, no reason to be uncomfortable
or unsafe.  You only get two eyes take care of them!!

DGD

Wick

I use 3M virtua safety glasses. They are lightweight, sleek, stylish and overall pretty comfortable, IMO.
Comfort is a big factor for me, nothing more aggravating then having to fidget with glasses while trying to concentrate on a task. They will fog up occasionally but if thats the case I probably need a 30 second break anyway. These are cheap enough that if they get scratched or whatever, just toss them and break out a new pair.
I wear the shaded ones outdoors, and have even used them as sunglasses.
Whatever you use, make sure they are ANSI Z87 tested. It will be stamped  into the glasses. 
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Thank You Sponsors!