iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm wearing safety glasses MORE!

Started by Jeff, June 11, 2013, 03:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm sitting here with one eye I can't hardly keep open for the pain and tearing in it.  I was out mowing the yard with the riding lawn mower, and somehow it flung a small stone forward that hit something, a tire maybe, and it bounced straight back and hit be square in the right eyeball.  I've never even considered wearing safety glasses on the riding lawnmower before, but I will now. I got a brand new pair with the Stihl weed whacker Tammy bought me, which you gotta where when you use that thing.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

A big bummer. That hurts. I have to wear glasses or I can't see nothing. Really need a new pair now. I buy the safety glasses at the eye place. They come with the side shields too.That way I don't have to take mine off when I'm grinding or mowing the lawn.  :o They cost about twice as much. But my convenience is worth something.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

grweldon

Been wearing them on the job for 30 years.  When I'm on the farm I feel naked without eye protection of some sort.  Even sunglasses help quite a bit even though most aren't ANSI approved.  Sorry to hear of your injury, hope it heals without intervention of the medical sort...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

thecfarm

2 things,I am shocked at the amount of people I see using a trimmer and no eye protection. Some are right on the edge of the road,by the gravel and I know that gravel is just a flying at them.
I will tell on myself.  :-[ 
The other day I hauled out some small trees,about 4 inches across for firewood. I sawed them up and was throwing the wood into the bucket. One still had a limb on it that I missed and I did not realize it until it hit me upside the head. Man that hurt,really stung my ear. I kept right on a going after rubbing my ear and calling myself a dummy. I looked away and thought how fuzzy things looked and kept right on a going. Than I reached up to adjust my glasses and realized that my glasses were not on my head,after I had thrown in at least 3 more loads of wood into the bucket.  I started to look for them,but can't see nothing. I need my glasses to find my glasses.  :D I was close to the house and I came up and got the wife. We both went down to the tractor. I walked up behind the tractor,because I can't see and did not want to step on them. Just for giggles I started to look into the bucket and I found them between 2 pieces of wood.Some how I could see them. Why I did not throw some wood on them is beyond me. Just lucky. I've had my glasses knocked off a few other times,but those times I knew it happened and just stood there and I knew what way they went and found them. This time I had no idea where they was.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I wear safety screened glasses in the bush, because it would be easy to poke an eye, with either a twig that was browsed making it pointy or by spruce needles. You might not think of spruce needles as sharp, but work in red spruce and you'll find it to be prickly stuff. It's not like cactus, but it'll still bite the skin. I know one fellow that about ruined one eye from getting a whack by a branch or stick. I wear eye protection with a weed whacker as well. Never thought of it on a mower, but I wear glasses anyway.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

I'm a fanatic about them at work, but do have to admit to being a bit lax at home. Hope all turns out ok.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

lowpolyjoe

That's rough Jeff.   I wear my safety glasses when doing just about anything these days.  But i have to admit, a riding mower would have seemed like a safe place to go without to me.  Hope everything works out ok.

I've got a floating spot in one eye and some days it drives me bonkers.  Don't want any more of them.  Also got hit just under the eye with a brad that bounced off some moulding a while back.  Scary.

I cringe whenever i see anyone doing anything risky without eye protection.  I guess i'll add riding mower to the list. 

Jeff

I think my eye will be fine, but it still feels like I had a finger poked in it. I can hole it open and see fine, it just hurts when I blink.  :)

beenthere

I'd patch it for awhile to give it some rest. Keeps one from the painful blinking. But the pain is likely either an eyeball scratch that needs to heal or some debris on the eye surface.
I had some rust on my eyeball (son-in-laws muffler job) and that blinkin pain didn't go away. Finally went to the eye doc and he took the rust off the eyeball (don't need those details) which eye docs can still see the scar. Said if I'd come sooner, likely would be no scar.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Yea, that's a bad one for sure, who would've figured?  I have to wear glasses full time, and they are safety glasses as well, but this is no guarantee that trash won't get in the eye,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Four stitches in the left eyeball later, I now wear safety glasses.  Four stitches in the left eyeball is no fun at all.  Safety glasses are a barrel of monkeys (I am sure sure that you young guys will not understand the "barrel of monkeys" reference, but all of the Old Farts will  :)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

When I was a kid, some toy outfit came out with a small barrel containing plastic monkeys. I forget the purpose of this, but might have been to see how many monkeys you could chain by just holding the first one in the chain. The hands where turned up like a J-hook. So you hooked one to another in this way. That's all I remember about a barrel of monkeys. :D ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

They haven't been totally forgotten, they are in all the Toy Story movies   ;)

The idea of the game was to hold one monkey, and see how many more you could hook out of the barrel in a chain, only holding the top monkey.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Weekend_Sawyer

More fun than a barrel of monkeys!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

grweldon

Just last night I was using the box blade in a small area that had been previously heavy overgrowth (Chinese Privet) before I mowed over it.  I was gathering the debris with the scarifiers on the box blade and pulling up the roots.  A branch from somewhere smacked me directly in my left eyeball.  If I hadn't been wearing glasses, I would have been in serious trouble.

Cfarm, I wear glasses when mowing with the riding mower AND when using a line trimmer.  When I finish trimming my glasses are covered with stuff that would have ended up hitting near or in my eye.  I've been in manufacturing for 30 years and glasses have always been manditory.  I feel naked without them at work or home.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Magicman

Ouch !!!  I always wear them when sawing or cutting, but there are still odd times when "life" happens.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wick

Don't forget the hearing protection as well. Damage to the inner parts of the ear from excessive noise is irreversible. I keep a pair of the small rubber ones on the lawn mower.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Hilltop366

I wear glasses but when using a line trimmer I will put on my saw helmet for extra protection.

grweldon

I don't have a saw helmet, but now that you mention it, that sounds like the way to go!

As for hearing protection, I use it with just about everything!  I am a recording musician and a sound tech at church functions and you can't mix well if you can't hear well!

OneWithWood

My Peltor lumberman helmet has a radio built in so I wear it for many things.  When mowing I like to put the mesh shield down when mowing close to trees.  It is great for weed whacking, sawmilling, working on the barn addition and so many things.  I am sure the neighbors thing I am a bit tetched because I have it on so much.
...they may be right
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

I also put the plugs in with any saws and the lawn mower. ;)

davidlarson

I agree with those who choose to wear safety glasses, hearing protection, chain saw chaps, gloves, and other safety gear.  I am a retired physician (internal medicine, geriatrics) with many years duty in the emergency room as well.  Many is the time I saw people (usually men) with injuries, sometimes with lasting disability, from not wearing safety gear.  Some of these were really tragic.  Be careful and be safe, guys! 
David L.

tyb525

I've been hit in or near the eye way too many times with too many things, knots, etc. I've had to have a rust speck removed on two difference occasions. Add on to that it seems like I am getting something in my eye nearly every day, sawdust, etc. I like wearing safety glasses but I always get the cheap kind that get scratched up really easy, and those are no fun to wear. I guess I need to invest in a good pair!

My eyes seem to be dust magnets. If there is a piece of dust flying through the air, it usually lands directly in my eye.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: tyb525 on June 14, 2013, 06:52:22 PM
. I like wearing safety glasses but I always get the cheap kind that get scratched up really easy, and those are no fun to wear. I guess I need to invest in a good pair!

That's a good point - I buy cheap harbor freight glasses.  They scratch pretty easy and sometimes the arms get loose over time and then they don't stay on my head. 

Can we get some recommendations for quality glasses? 

Also heard recently about custom ear protection that they squirt something in your ear to make a perfect mold.  I think the guy said they generally do it at motorcycle shows/conventions.  Sounds creepy but a good idea

Magicman

Check this out for the molded ear plugs:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Uvex coms in a variety of styles and are pretty rugged. Prices run from about $7 - $15. Do a google search. Many more brands are available.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

I wear screened goggles out in the bush. It rains a lot here and with wet brush slap'n your glasses and such you wouldn't be able to see what your cut'n with solid glasses. Need to install wiper blades and a heater for defog. And yes your body gets really warm when swinging a brush saw, so lots of steam. :D

Hmm, lots of steam and sawdust. ;D :D

Magicman

Sounds like you need to hook up with Steamsawyer and install an engine in your hip pocket.   ;D

Bibbyman

Mary walks by and flinches and asked, "What did you do to your eye?". I don't know. Apparently I was whacked by something. It didn't hurt or have a vision problem but I went to the eye doctor. Didn't even get to see him.  Some lady technician said it was only a bruise and would start to clear up in two weeks.

After I got my blood sugar levels under control, my eyesight improved to the point where I only wear glasses to drive or watch tv.  I've started wearing safety glasses at the mill and anywhere else that may pose a hazard.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Magicman

:o  I say Ouch !!!  Now my eyes hurt.

BBTom

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

martyinmi

Quote from: Jeff on June 16, 2013, 07:44:00 AM
That made my eyes start to water!
I don't know whether you were kidding Jeff, but my right eye did actually start itching and watering up as I was looking at and reading Bibby's post!
Kinda weird how the mind and body react sometimes. :P
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Jeff

No, I wasn't. That happens with me all the time. If I see someone who has really irritated eyes, my eyes will start watering. I think it is like a yawn. You can get about 75% of people to yawn, simply by yawning yourself, or sometimes even talking about being tired and saying the word yawn a couple times. :D

lowpolyjoe

Yikes Bibbyman!

Thanks for the ear and eye protection references guys.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Bibbyman

When looking straight ahead and lids normal open, the red was not too noticeable.  I had fun with people showing them my evil eye. Grossed them out.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

QuoteI had fun with people showing them my evil eye. Grossed them out.

I presume that was after the red showed up in that eye?   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dgdrls

If I'm not in regular glasses or suns I'm in safeties. 

Outside work with all the UV light wears me down, no reason to be uncomfortable
or unsafe.  You only get two eyes take care of them!!

DGD

Wick

I use 3M virtua safety glasses. They are lightweight, sleek, stylish and overall pretty comfortable, IMO.
Comfort is a big factor for me, nothing more aggravating then having to fidget with glasses while trying to concentrate on a task. They will fog up occasionally but if thats the case I probably need a 30 second break anyway. These are cheap enough that if they get scratched or whatever, just toss them and break out a new pair.
I wear the shaded ones outdoors, and have even used them as sunglasses.
Whatever you use, make sure they are ANSI Z87 tested. It will be stamped  into the glasses. 
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Thank You Sponsors!