iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New (to me) B-16

Started by hookdrvr, June 10, 2013, 12:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hookdrvr

I posted earlier about this B-16, I went ahead and picked it up and drug it home from south georgia. It'll need some tlc from sitting for 10+ years, but its not worn out, more surface rust than anything. I also just ordered some Cook's duratooth blades. Will these work good for hardwoods, both green and seasoned?
I've been trying to find post on here and reading what I can and will continue to about blades, sawing logs, etc.
I am missing the lube container from the mill. Any thoughts on what would make a good container short of buying one from TK? Thanks for any help. I'm looking forward to getting started on my barn project. :)
Timber King B16
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

redbeard

Congrats on your mill!  You should be able to find a square 5 gal. jug at local hardware or feed store its just a gravity lube system with a valve to slow the flow down to a drip. Lots of info on the water containers on here. Haven't tried the cooks blades but others praise them for hardwood cutting.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

millstead

my mill didnt have a lube tank when i got it i used a soap tank from a pressure washer its small im not sure if its even a gallon but it lasts a good while before i have to refill congrats on the mill

ladylake

You might find a good heavy duty jug from a dairy farmer or car wash for free most times.
What did you mill come with far as hydraulic, setworks etc.  When setting it up make sure the blade is level with the deck without the guide wheels touching the blade, then the wheel should push the blade down 1/4" for best cutting with the flange 1/4" behind the blade keeping the blade level with the deck, it good to get it set up good right away.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ga Mtn Man

Congrats on the "new" mill.  Should be a good learning experience getting it back into shape.  For a lube tank I would suggest one of these:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62394.0.html
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

thecfarm

If it is a gravity system,get 2 valves,one to adjust it with and one to turn off and on when doing something else besides sawing. That way you won't have to adjust the flow again to get it just right.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Will_Johnson

I wonder why you wouldn't just order one from us?

I hope this isn't an inappropriate use of the forum (all readers may be assured we don't get rich off of selling water jugs -- or sawmills for that matter!)

But this is a case where for not too much money you have have OEM stuff. We have two options one is around $30 and one, custom-made for TK, very heavy and UV-protected, is -- gulp -- $60. (Just reflects our costs...)

Just a thought.

Best,

Will

Ga Mtn Man

Those new, custom made TK tanks are very nice and look like they would be much more durable than any off-the-shelf tank.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Larry

My lube tank cracked after about a year due to UV degradation.  I was on a big pine job and knew I would not be able to go on without lube.  Fortunately I was able to patch up the tank enough that it would hold about 3 gallons of water and finished the job.

I thought about buying a replacement from TK, but a cheap lube tank just didn't seem to fit such a reliable and trouble free mill.  A breakdown is a breakdown even if it is only the lube tank.

I thought about the solution for several months while patching the old tank.  I really wanted to fabricate a tank from stainless or alumimium.  Perhaps I could modify a boat gas tank or a pony keg. 

At a garage sale I came across two 5 gallon insulated Rubbermaid water jugs.  I thought these things are pretty durable as they last for years on utility trucks.  There available at the local Walmart for $30 something if one breaks.  They could keep my water from freezing in the winter and save on buying windshield washer fluid.  Why they would even keep a few cold drinks with a bit of ice in the summer.  So...I picked up the two garage sale water jugs for $4.  I had to fabricate something to hold the tank on the mill along with a bit of plumbing.  It has been on my mill for quite a while now and I like it.

The biggest problem is they only come in this awful orange color.  How does one paint a Rubbermaid water jug? :D :D :D

It is good TK identified the lube tank was a problem and came out with a new/improved model.  If only I'd been aware of it, this story may have been different.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Will_Johnson

Good point Larry.

That was our feeling too: we go to all this trouble to make an incredible mill and then customer is grumpy over a dumb water jug!

If that orange really starts to wear on you Larry give me a call and I'll try to make you a good deal on one of our new pretty rugged tanks.

Will

hookdrvr

Gents,
Thanks for the replies and info. I sawed some slabs off an 8' cedar log last night, fun fun! I was able to identify quickly I was sawing too fast for how dull my blade was, its the old one that was on the machine. I hope to have some new cook's blades today or monday.
The mill has full hydraulics, It'll take some time to get the hang of everything. I've got parts ordered for the smaller Briggs, the carb is messing up and its a bear to start, but once running, does ok.
Will, send me a link to the water jugs your talking about. I looked on the TK website and couldnt find much info other than on mills and a few accessories, maybe I overlooked the jug.
I like doing things on the cheap, but also prefer quality and longevity, so not above buying an improved water jug.
Cfarm, thanks for the advice on two valves, definitely sounds like the way to go.
I'll try to post some pictures soon.
Timber King B16
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

ladylake

Try dumping a little sea foam in the tank on the little Briggs. Sure does take a while to get use to all those hydraulics.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ga Mtn Man

If you're going to the trouble to add a valve to your lube system, might as well make in one of these:

About $15 on ebay.  Connect it to your blade clutch wire or a separate switch.

hookdrvr

GMM,
It looks kewl, but what is it? Electric valve or a pump? Some more pics would help out as well, may have to fab something like that up.
Timber King B16
Leonardo da Vinci

Ga Mtn Man

Happycamper

I used a spare air line coupling at the tank and a small control valve at the bottom to control water flow,works very well and no pulling line off tank to refill now, just uncouple it.
                                        Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

hookdrvr

Ladylake,
I tried the seafoam in both engines, apparently the carb on the 5.5 briggs is too far gone, hope to have a new one in today and get it installed.

I found a 2.5 gal beverage container at Walmart. Planning on using an adapter to adapt to the lube hose, that should fix that problem.
My Cooks blades arrived, so once I get one installed today, I can finally mill some and start figuring everything out. I'll post some pics soon.
Timber King B16
Leonardo da Vinci

Thank You Sponsors!