iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Athena's chairs

Started by mesquite buckeye, June 09, 2013, 09:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

I'm hoping that the extra strong tenons on the back will help to resist lateral racking at the seat level. The lateral tenon on the seat has to be a bit shorter than the front to back one, so we shall see. I figure you can't make it weaker if it is heavier. Just heavier. ;D

I worry about screws working out as the chair wiggles over time. I may put corner blocks with screws as a backup strengthener.

Thanks again for your thoughts, Lud. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Backstrap tenons 1st cleanup. Love my Stanley 92. Guess I got one of the good ones. ;D

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Lud

I failed to mention that I dipped the screw threads in Titebond III before the impact driver ran them in.   Then the plug dipped and driven in gives the sunken head no room to move.  About as rock solid as one can get.

There is a reason bone docs use them .....

Not second guessing like I said before.  Cheers!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

mesquite buckeye

I'm thinking corner blocking and screws there.

Your method may work fine. I have had to fix so many old chairs where the screws have wiggled loose or stripped that I am not trusting. Of course I have seen tenons made too small and dowels do the same thing. I'm hoping if I build it like an aircraft carrier it will last longer than the ones I have had to fix or toss. ;D

Lud- Just a question. Are all yours holding so far?

ancjr

Ancient furniture secret: dry tenons and pegs, green mortices.

I cheat by using expanding polyurethane adhesive from a caulk tube (not the honey colored stuff in the squeeze bottles) but, I also don't build many nice things like chairs, either.  :D

mesquite buckeye

That could work. But you better use a well behaved wood that doesn't twerk. ;D ;D ;D

ancjr

Good point with Elm.  Mine grew with a corkscrew form as a warning!  :)

Lud

MB,  Yes, absolutely all Screws are holding.  I'd set up 3 different drills and the impact so I could drill the plug hole, the countersink and shaft hole and the pilot hole down to 3/4 depth.  I want the tip to fully grab as it seats and the glue to work as lubricant and then set up filling any voids and adhere the screw fully.

They were 3" deck screws with two screws to each leg  burying into the seat through the dado/tenon rabbeted joint.  The seat was rabbeted to increase glue surface without sacrificing leg mass.  Heck of a joint.

3 screws into the backrest thru the back leg and 1 screw down into the center of the top of the arm thru the back leg .  A dowel joins the front of the arm to the top of the front leg.

Been in our house for 7 months, lots of use  by big and small folks and not a single wiggle to date.  All credit to TB III and the 6% ash.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

mesquite buckeye

I like your method. The screw would have to break or strip out to fail. ;D

lowpolyjoe

Wow, what a great project thread!

You're doing all the curved cuts with a jigsaw?  I thought i was the only person on this forum without a bandsaw  :D.   

mesquite buckeye

Yep. And it is very not fun. There is almost always a work around when you don't have the perfect tool.

Just think of the things made by guys with nothing more than a saw, plane, chisel and a hammer. Just got to be better to make it really nice.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Lud on January 16, 2014, 09:38:29 AM
MB,  Yes, absolutely all Screws are holding.  I'd set up 3 different drills and the impact so I could drill the plug hole, the countersink and shaft hole and the pilot hole down to 3/4 depth.  I want the tip to fully grab as it seats and the glue to work as lubricant and then set up filling any voids and adhere the screw fully.

They were 3" deck screws with two screws to each leg  burying into the seat through the dado/tenon rabbeted joint.  The seat was rabbeted to increase glue surface without sacrificing leg mass.  Heck of a joint.

3 screws into the backrest thru the back leg and 1 screw down into the center of the top of the arm thru the back leg .  A dowel joins the front of the arm to the top of the front leg.

Been in our house for 7 months, lots of use  by big and small folks and not a single wiggle to date.  All credit to TB III and the 6% ash.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but I can see you also gain a lot of strength and rigidity from the arms and back, the way they are laid out.

Athena's will have all the force concentrated at the back leg area. We will find out if I made it strong enough. :-\

Lud

I'm sure it's going to work out fine with your quality of work and patience.  If you choose to bury some screws into the joints for permanent, mechanical connection with sandable plugs to make them invisable to non woodworkers, you want to do it as the joint glue is setting up.  I observed instances where the screw compression tightened up the joint  more than the clamps resulting in a bit of squeeze out for proof.  Tighter the joint the stronger the joint, eh?

And good glides on the legs reduces stress on the chair .  My chairs are heavy but the ladies slide  them around with ease because of the glides.

I do agree with your comment that back legs get the most stress from human weight yet with more connections top and middle I imagine it spreads the forces throughout the chair's structure.  I think that's the purpose of cross bracing underneath in Windsors and others that are more lightly constructed.

Hope this helps. ;)

mesquite buckeye

Your posts are always helpful.  ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!