iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Visiting DanG on the West Coast

Started by Tom, April 26, 2004, 08:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Gael and  took a trip to the West Coast Sunday To See DanG.  It was a long boring trip.  I-10 has no curves, few exits and a lot of traffic.  After many long hours on the road we arrived and got a quick tour of the DanG Farm.  Then we got back in the car and went looking for real estate.  The country around  Tallahassee and North through Gasden and Jackson Counties is rolling and right pretty.  I was impressed and may look again.  My fair bride, who has her eyes on Colorado, whizzed through the country side at a fair clip as Dan and I strained to take in all the sights passing in a blur by the windows. It looks as if I'll have to find me a small place to set my mill and visit on occasion until she learns that a Florida raised gal may have trouble with sub-zero weather.  :-X :D
I got a chance to see the Hootie-mobile, DanG's  Mobile dimension and a polka dotted horse.

It cranks right up but hesitates

He's got it running now.  No spark advance, see? ;D

Put a Sweet Gum log on the mill and saw away.

Now see, This handle makes it go up, and this'n down,
and this'n forward, and this'n stop, and this'n..........

This here handle holds the log in place.
When you push it in like this, the spikes go into the wood, see?

They look like this and you can have one one on every bunk
if you want.

There were some pretty flowers on the side of the road too.

Around the corner from where Dan's road hits the hard road is a pasture with a polka dotted horse.  Funniest thing I ever saw.  I took three pictures but he was on the other side of the paddock and I couldn't get close.  I'm still trying to get the picture where you can see it.  Might not be able to do it.

If Dan was of a mind, he could go around there tomorrow and get a close up picture of that polka dotted horse and put it on this thread.  I know he must know which one I'm talking about 'cause there can't be but one of'em. :D

Mark M

DanG - that beard makes mine look like peach fuzz :)

SwampDonkey

Nice trip Tom and DanG, so how many feet of lumber got sawn that day? :D  ;D

Tom, sounded like a whirl wind trip my grandfather was famous for, well not quite. But, he'de just land some place to visit and have to go home hahahaha. Him and I went on many trips and my uncle and mother both say when they were kids, it was the same. No motels, no parks, no restaurants, no running water. Just gravel pits, tents, no-see-um's and the coleman stove. ahhaha :D :D

I wanna see the polka dot horse. Maybe we can have a connect the dot contest. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mark M

I saw one of those poky-dotted horses the other day. Did yours look like this Tom?

Tom

SwampDonkey

oh DanG my mouse pointer can't make marks on the forum screen for connect the dots :D :D

Now there's a quick feller with a pirtie highlighter on the fly. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Here is a picture of the polka dotted horse that lives next to DanG.  It's not a good one because I had to cut it out of a much bigger picture.  I hope DanG can get a better one some day.

I never saw a polky dotted horse before.  Might be a cross 'tween a Quarter Horse and a Dalmation, eh?

etat

I'm a thinking it's one of them rare breeds that's been crossed with a zebra and the stripes came out wrong.  The picture has got me a bit confused.  Is it mostly white with black spots, or black with white spots? ??? ??? ???
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

DanG

Well, DanGed if we didn't have a DanG fine visit! :) 8) :)  We did a fair amount of riding around the area, looking at places for sale, and seeing some of the purtier sights around.

Sunday evenin' we went to one of my favorite eatin' places, Jack Wingate's Lunker Lodge, up in the edge of Georgia, on Lake Seminole.  Me & Tom each had a great big ol' platter of catfish, almost more than we could eat. :o  When the waitress brought it out, she said the cook wanted to know how we liked the breading on the fish. He was trying something new, and wanted some feedback.  Well, we said we didn't know, since we hadn't tried the old way, so why didn't he cook some that way so we could compare. ;D  They decided they didn't really want to know that bad, so we just dug into what we had, there.  After a while, though, we called her over and told her to tell him to go back to the old way, whatever that was. ::) :D :D

Tom & Gael went on to spend the evening and night with her brother in Tallahassee.  They came back this morning, and we played with the mill and the Hootiemobile a little, between rain showers. Then we took off again to look at things to the south. We saw some pretty places, but it just ain't as interesting as the northern part of the county.  We stopped in at this little grocery/hardware store in Hosford, Fl, where I wanted to pick up a couple of things. Bless Goodness, across the street there was several big Red Oaks that had just been cut down this weekend. I asked about them in the store, and the fellow said he was gonna get some firewood off of it and the rest was up for grabs! :o :o 8) 8)  He says the owner just wants them gone!  I'm gonna try to contact the owner, though, rather than just take the store guy's word for it.

By then, it was getting late and my guests had to head for home. It sure was a great couple of days for me, though. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Ackshully, CK, the horse is brown, with some black spots and a lot of white. Or he may be black with brown  spots and a lot of white. Well, maybe he's white with some brown and some black spots. We could ask Stinky. :D :D

Really, though, he is a tri-colored Leopard Appaloosa. Worth quite a bit of money. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

billbobtlh

Hey DanG thats a really nice setup you have there. Sometime after the 30th.(friday)I will get most of my life back and can plan on getting over your way if the offer is still open.

DanG

Hey, Billbob!  I was thinkin' about you today.  I know where you are, and it ain't at home. You think them folks will get outta town by the 30th?

You're always welcome at my place. In case you ain't been keepin' up, I retired from Sprint. I'm sure gonna miss all them lunches we was always gonna have. :D :D :D

I'll PM ya my cell #.

Stan

Well shoot, I was hopin' he was an appaloosa pushmepullyou.  :(
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Ianab

That horse has a cousin in NZ !
I've done a web page for a friend down the road who has a very similar looking critter. It's name is Bruce

http://www.geocities.com/egmontstud/appy/default.htm
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Ianab:

Its broken down bronco Bruce!! Now its been awhile since I watched Sesame Street. hahahahha :D :D :D

Ianab

I wont tell Janice about 'broken down Bronco Bruce'  ;) :D
But that Hootie Mobile would sure come in handy, do they come in 4wd with mud tires???
Oh.. and I have sported a ginger beard to compete with that, but have since found that a tidy goatee pulls the chicks way better, even if it's got a bit of silver stripe in it these days  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

OneWithWood

Great looking toys you got there Dan!  Good thinking too to get Tom to come over and take those pics for you.  Not only does Tom do the work and post the pics but you get to star in the pics too 8) 8)

If'n you and Tom would lay off the powdered donuts your beards wouldn't look so white :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

OWW, I underwent a major pruning, a few weeks ago for my trip to the Masters. We trimmed out all the grey, so nuthin was left but the white part. :D :D

Corley5

8) 8) 8)  I like the Hootie Mobile especially.  Gonna have lotsa stops to make next time I get to Fla ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

You got that right, Greg!  If you come down this way and don't stop here, I'm gonna be pea owed! >:( ;D :D :D :D

The Hootiemobile is a precision instrument. If you ain't precise with the choke, when you go to start it in the mornin', you might as well wait till tomorrow. :D :D  You gotta let it warm up, properly, too. It won't move at all till you get the torque converter warmed up real good. Then it gets too warm and starts to runnin' kinda funny. Then it lay's down for a little nap. Matter of fact, it's a little like Mr. Hootie, himself. :D :D

whitepe

Tom and DanG,  It looks like you two had a good time jawing and
perusing the equipment.  OWW needs to eat a few more powdered donuts
to get his beard to match.  ;) 
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Paschale

I was scratching my head, wondering what was wrong with those pictures.  Something desperately wrong, and I just couldn't put my finger on it.  I looked, and looked again.   And then it hit me...Tom's not wearing a red t-shirt!   :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks for the pics Tom and showing DanG doing his thing . I too like the Hootie Mobile . What did you do at Sprint Dan ? 
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Weekend_Sawyer

This Forum sure does bring alot of good folks together! :)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DanG

Thanks for bringing this back to the top, Whitepe.  It has been a year now, since Tom was here.  I still remember it as a great weekend. :)

Puh-skolly, you're right.  Tom wasn't wearing the red t.  Funny thing though, I've met him in person a number of times, and I've never seen him in a red t. ???  I figger that must just be his uniform for when he's working, and he wears civvies when he's just havin' fun.

Buck, I did a variety of things:  11 years in an electro-mechanical switching center, adjusting relays and springs, etc.  Then we converted to digital switches, and after a couple of more years in the "trenches" I went into a technical assistance environment for a while.  Then I got attached to a "Translations Engineering" group as their testing and R&D guy for a few more years.  I spent the last 3 or 4 years as a "carrier tech" working on fiber optic terminals and such mundane items as that.  Then I decided 34 years was enough! >:(

Weekend Sawyer, RIGHT ON!  I've lost count of the forum members I've met now, and every single one has been a thrill to meet. 8) 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!