iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Without a Blade

Started by Magicman, June 08, 2013, 05:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

It had to happen, and today was the day.   :-\

OK, so I think that I have an excuse because of the obligations, moving, appointments, and dramatics of this past two weeks, but arriving at the saw site this morning without blades "won't cut it".  I got everything ready and then had to take a side trip.  Yeah, a side trip all right.  A side trip back home and get the blade box.

I might could do or make do without most anything else, but there will be NO "sawing without a blade".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy White

MM
Isn't it amazing that we all can be "human" and do some unexpected things!
Glad to know that I am not the only one to have CRS when I need to get it together.
Says a lot about your character for sharing that with us.               Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I love ya Magic but I just have to  :D :D :D.

I've done things like that before too.
Took the boat out to fish on the lake. Had everything but the plug.  :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bama20a

Hey piston: I did the same thing,but I put mine in the water before I found out, :-\
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Jim_Rogers

mm: you need a handy dandy check list of things to bring to the job......

I think I know where you can get one......  :P

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 08, 2013, 06:52:45 PM
mm: you need a handy dandy check list of things to bring to the job......

I think I know where you can get one......  :P

Jim Rogers

Magic has a check list.....he forgot it too.  :D

Magicman

Quote from: clww on June 08, 2013, 06:22:31 PMHow far from home, Lynn?
Only across town.

I do not rely on a checklist because my truck stays loaded for work, except I had it unloaded while moving the Daughter and Granddaughter.  The blade box was in front of the truck and went unnoticed. 

The good thing was that I got another kiss goodby.   smiley_love
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

mikeb1079

Quotemm: you need a handy dandy check list of things to bring to the job......

I think I know where you can get one...... 

now that's funny.   ;D

QuoteI might could do or make do without most anything else, but there will be NO "sawing without a blade".

mm this is where you're supposed to use your MAGIC.   :) :)

although disappearing and reappearing with a box of blades might do.  as long as the client doesn't realize that you've left.   :)

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

GDinMaine

That is very funny Magicman!
Did you ever forgot the mill key?  I have a couple of times.  Since then there is an extra key sitting in a magnetic box attached to the mill in a hard to notice kind of place.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Magicman

Me, forget the sawmill key?  Are you kidding?  I would never do such a thing and if I ever screwed up or made a mistake, I would never admit it, especially here on the FF.   :D :D

giant splinter

I thought you had spare blades on your checklist ????????? :)
roll with it

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 08, 2013, 10:41:18 PM
Me, forget the sawmill key?  Are you kidding?  I would never do such a thing and if I ever screwed up or made a mistake, I would never admit it, especially here on the FF.   :D :D

You know it and I know.....if push came to shove, you can crank it without a key if ya had to.  :D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 08, 2013, 06:46:50 PM
I love ya Magic but I just have to  :D :D :D.

I've done things like that before too.
Took the boat out to fish on the lake. Had everything but the plug.  :o

That is when you improvise. You should be able to make a plug out of the materials at hand, but I admit it is hard to make sawmill blades on the spot out of styrofoam, wood, or rubber.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mesquite buckeye

I recommend keeping your super duper laser log cutter handy for backup. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

That's a good one MM, never left without blades, but will admit to leaving without the KEY! and more than once :-[   And where do you find the key?  anyone,?   if you said dirty close pile you would be correct,  not sure where to find the head scratching smiley,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

FWIW, I leave the key in my mill. Even if I did remove it I would stash it on the machine somewhere. I hate looking for keys, I used to work for my grandad excavating, he would always send me to jobs to get a truck or piece of equipment. I'd get there and guess what, no keys >:( I hotwired everything we had at least once. I think I'd rather have a vehicle stolen than search for keys now.
Too many irons in the fire

loggah

Thats the thing about a circle mill, you notice when the blade is missing !!! ;D ;D,glad you didn't have to travel far to get your blades. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

dboyt

Leaving the cant hook behind is almost as bad.  Hard to improvise.  Glad you weren't on one of your extended tips.  Good luck with the "Personal Best".
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

AdamT

I once forgot my tape measure. I always keep it in the door of my truck, but i used it at home somewheres, and forgot to grab it. Luckily it wasn't my first time sawing for this customer. I use the Stanley fat max tape that has 11'+ of standout out before collapsing. I LOVE it.
Fortunately my customer had a tape I could use for the day, but it was a small, dollar store special, and 3' was about all the standout it had! I won't forget my tape again.

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

slider

did some one say crs,i have that
al glenn

Chuck White

I've never gone to a sawjob and not had my blades, but I did go once and forgot the key.

Not to worry though:  I always have a spare key stashed on the mill with a zip-tie!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clww

Not a sawmill, but this past Saturday I went to work on a tree removal job and forgot to pack the chainsaw. ::) I had to work on the smaller limbs with my pruning saw. >:( After an hour, it started raining again, so I drove back on home.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Peter Drouin

Before I go I allways look in the truck to see if I left something out.
and take a minute, Im never in a hurry  ;D until the blade hits the log then Im in a hurry ;D 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!