iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log home building company site visit

Started by Jim_Rogers, June 08, 2013, 05:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

On Thursday June 6th, 2013, I had the opportunity to stop and visit a log home building company's yard and layout site.

This site was huge and it had a concrete pad that must be 100 ft long and at least that wide.
They layout the entire house log frame on the center lines drawn on the concrete pad.

As you all love pictures here are some of the site, crane, and yard:

You can't see it but behind the little cart with the metal roof is a woodmizer electric sawmill with 56' of track for cutting flats on logs.

More:

In order to make lines that go around the logs they have this:

And to prevent the logs from rolling when they are working one them they have these:

I believe the log dog or I think he said they call them staples or something like that from being used alone they are tied together with a piece of string. So you carry two around and stick them under each side of the log.

I didn't stay too long but I was a nice visit.

Here is their website link:

http://www.woodenhousecompany.com/index.htm

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

Nice pics Jim.
Sure makes life easier when they turn the logs down to the same size. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: beenthere on June 08, 2013, 06:39:14 PM
Nice pics Jim.
Sure makes life easier when they turn the logs down to the same size. :)

I asked him specifically about that. Those are not turned logs they are hand selected by the owner. He doesn't harvest them himself but hires the logger to do that for him.
But he does select some very nice logs.

Jim Rogers

Dave Shepard

They make it look like they are single handedly building the Gwozdziec Synagogue.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Jim
I see that (not turned) now, but for certain they have machined surfaces. Did you see how they did that?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Piston

They have some pretty nice project pictures on their website.  Thanks for sharing Jim.

If it weren't for the amount of settling issues in a log home, I think I'd be very interested in having one for a camp or cottage. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: beenthere on June 08, 2013, 06:58:01 PM
Jim
I see that (not turned) now, but for certain they have machined surfaces. Did you see how they did that?

No, I didn't see any machines working. They were doing hand work with chisels and slicks when I got there.

Jim Rogers

reride82

In the picture with the wrap around ruler, it appears that the logs were draw knifed, but maybe with a wider draw knife?
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Jim_Rogers

Yes, they did use a draw knife to take the bark off as well as a spud.

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!