iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

screwdriver test on injectors

Started by Nemologger, June 07, 2013, 10:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemologger

Me again guys...How do I do a screwdriver test on my injectors? That 3-53 is driving me crazy! Started it this morning...throws out whitish smoke, still slobbers when I rev it up...no power... won't pull itself. Filters are never full when I remove them...usually down about an inch
Clean and Sober

Timbercruiser

Youtube has good vids on this check it out its easy  :)

Nemologger

How would we function without cell phones and Youtube? Thanks !!
Clean and Sober

kiko

Filters are never full when you pull them ? Well there is your problem . Sounds like a suction leak.or supply blockage like bushmechanic said on other thread.

Nemologger

I have a new line going to the filter...wonder where the blockage could be?
Clean and Sober

Kemper

Could it be air getting in, instead of a blockage?

Mapleman

On my older TJ 225 there's an outlet valve on the bottom of the fuel tank in the inboard side, you have to turn the machine to the left to get at it, this can get plugged up and cause the problems you're having.  If you have the same setup, you might try taking the fuel line off and checking that you're getting full flow at that point.
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

saxon0364

My 353 had the same symptoms last week.  Barely got the skidder to the landing in first gear.   Turned out to be pin hole leak in the main fuel line from the tank to the filter. It was seeping fuel into the belly pan which is why I didn't notice the leak.   And it was just a worn spot in the line with a pin hole leak.   But it was enough to suck air.    I found it when I started cracking the lines with the motor running looking for what I figured was a blockage.   When I cracked the return line there was air bubbles.  And there shouldn't be.  Dropped a line into a diesel fuel can and ran it to the filter.   Motor smoothed out and no bubbles.   So I knew it was the main line.   Easy fix.  I got lucky this time.    Pulling good now.
Nothing wrong with quiet.

tyb525

Basically you just put the screwdriver tip on the injector body and/or line and put the handle on your ear. It works best right in front of my ear. It's amazing how good this works when you're doing it right.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

nk14zp

Sounds like a bad lift pump or an air leak.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

snowstorm

Quote from: tyb525 on June 08, 2013, 05:07:30 PM
Basically you just put the screwdriver tip on the injector body and/or line and put the handle on your ear. It works best right in front of my ear. It's amazing how good this works when you're doing it right.
not with a 2 stroke detroit. they have unit injectors. push down on the injector where the rocker arm hits it. it will shut that injector off

bushmechanic

Nemologger where the line goes into the filter there is a brass 90 degree fitting check that first. Unscrew the barbed fitting that the line goes on and if there is any build-up of debris it will be caught in the right angle fitting. If you put a can over the engine and ran it and it still acted the same then the problem is in the engine. To do a screwdriver test you let the engine idle and with the top pan off take a screwdriver and push down on the top of the injector. This will effectively shut the injector off so it don't inject fuel and you will hear a difference in the idle of the engine, when you let the screwdriver up you should hear the engine smooth out if not you have a dead injector or internal problems with that cylinder (maybe a dropped valve).

Nemologger

I had thought of a dropped valve so I took the air filter out and started it...it sounded ok. Do the injectors have small screens on them?
Clean and Sober

nk14zp

Forget the injectors until you find out why the filters are not full.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Nemologger

Bushmechanic you were right...I did the screwdriver test and sure enough the center injector is dead. Now how do I go about taking it out? any tricks? is there anything I should watch out for?
Clean and Sober

Thank You Sponsors!