iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Perk-a- pillar what is it ?

Started by ABTS, June 07, 2013, 08:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABTS

pulled a engine out of a 2008 501hd caterpillar . Took the engine to the dealer found out it was a perk-a-pillar . Part perkins part caterpillar.

GAB

ABTS:
"perk-a-pillar . Part perkins part caterpillar"  Someone told me that Cat bought out Perkins and tightened the tolerances on the parts and put their name on the tighter toleranced product.  My sawmill's Cat diesel engine has Perkins cast into some of the castings.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Dave Shepard

I've heard in the UK they are known as Catkins. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

240b

Had two of them in cat products. Perkins cast into the side of the block cat nameplate on vlave cover. good motors in experience

redprospector

I can't say enough good things about the little "Perkapillars". I'm pulling a 3054T out of an old ASV right now to stick in my Fecon.
The drive went out on the ASV and I didn't want to put that much more into that machine, so it sat for almost 3 years, unattended. I wanted to make sure it would still run before I made definate plans for the engine. Hooked up jumper cables and she fired right up, ran a little rough for about a minute but cleared right up.
This engine is set up for 105 HP, but they are rated for, and can be set up to 122 HP.

I want to get a license plate that says PERKAPILLAR instead of the ones that say CAT.  :D

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

barbender

We had a Cat 287 track machine that lost an oil pump at about 1200 hours if I remember right, wreaked some havoc in the engine obviously. Other than that, the WM mills that run them seem to have a fair amount of problems.  I rarely heard anything bad about the older Perkins, FWIW.
Too many irons in the fire

ABTS

I had heard that cat bought perkins . I had a perk a pillar in my stump grinder. I had heard that cat did not build the smaller engines. Have not heard bad things this one tied to put front gears through the cover nice hole in cover at the bottom. My next big question will be parts availability.

redprospector

I've found that parts are readily available through Caterpillar. All it takes is money...quite a bit of it in my opinion.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Banjo picker

I have a 404D-22T.... Perkins.  It don't have Cat any where on it.  But the last post is dead on... You better have plenty of money if you have trouble... Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

petefrom bearswamp

My diesel 51 engine has a perkins name plate riveted on the side of the block with Void stamped all over it quite near the caterpillar one.
My neighbors has the same plate
I have had no problems as yet but only a little over 500 hrs. My neighbors has over 2500 hrs on his.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Cooks advertises a 51 HP perkins for their mills.
Maybe the same animal?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ABTS

I always heard that perkins built a good engine. They have been around for quite a long time . I always worry about getting parts. There always seem to be parts problems they always say we never had to order that part or something like that . I guess just bad experinces with that stuff. Hopefully this will not be one of those times.

Banjo picker

Mine is the 62 hp turbo... From what I have read on this forum the 51 is a more reliable motor.... Seems like if it comes from Woodmizer is says Cat, and if comes from Cooks it will be straight Perkins... Just my observation could be wrong.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

woodmills1

my 62 hp turbo from my lt70 mizer catkin, is sweet and looks for all the world like the perkapillar in my 91 caterpillar back hoe, even down to same filters

BTW both run great when I remember to treat them right
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jdament

One of the other 501hd with the c6.6 perkapillar just stopped running.  Cat came in and said they think it is the fuel pump, they are not sure but will start with that.  Well they changed it and it started and then it started to miss and run like crap.  Now cyl 3 and 4 are dead and now they want to change all the injectors.  They say they got screwed up when the pump went bad.  So now after a $3500 fuel pump they will put in 6 injectors for $3500.  So far I can honestly say these perkapillars are not too good.

Kemper

Quote from: jdament on June 11, 2013, 07:52:35 PM
One of the other 501hd with the c6.6 perkapillar just stopped running.  Cat came in and said they think it is the fuel pump, they are not sure but will start with that.  Well they changed it and it started and then it started to miss and run like crap.  Now cyl 3 and 4 are dead and now they want to change all the injectors.  They say they got screwed up when the pump went bad.  So now after a $3500 fuel pump they will put in 6 injectors for $3500.  So far I can honestly say these perkapillars are not too good.

Might be cheaper to buy a new engine.

ABTS

21000 dollars and no engine availability not good. Looks like they will have to rebuild. The oil pump seized up broke gears and scord the cylinder walls sort block time.

Thank You Sponsors!