iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Proper Sawyer's Breakfast?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, June 07, 2013, 05:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

With all the talk here about food & threads turning to food, I thought it right and good to suggest and establish a good baseline for a proper Sawyer's breakfast.   There is often some talk about eating sawdust and various animals so this should be good for all.

This idea came from the breakfast I was served each morning last week when 14 of us from CT went to frame a church in Waterloo,  Illinois just a bit southeast of St. Louis. It was prepared by a team of ladies who came mostly from Birmingham, Alabama.   Even though we had nearly six 12 hour days on the job, I did not lose any weight.  There were 2 other meals each day which could also serve sawyers well.

Here is the suggested proper breakfast.  Clockwise from 3:00, we have grits with butter, cheesy grits with butter, 2 sausage patties, 2 biscuits, 2 strips of bacon over scrambled eggs, and (not shown) sweet tea and coffee.  Optional was gravy over the biscuits and everything else.  Your input is appreciated.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WH_Conley

Is that runny stuff on the bottom part of the plate supposed to keep you from taking to much of the rest? :D
Bill

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

Can't go wrong with a double helping of grits. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Woodkiller

Ain't nothin' wrong with that breakfast!!! 8) 8)

Chuck White

For the most part, I can go along with that breakfast, I ate lots of everything there, except the "cheesey grits" during my early years in the Air Force.

The cheesey gritts really don't appeal to me.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

justallan1

Just one simple question. Whens the next church raising?
My foster mom was from Arkansas and any work you needed to do on Saturdays you got done before lunch because afterwards you just weren't able. She could feed you.

Allan

DaleK

Looks like slim pickings. Farmer breakfast here at the truck stop is 3 eggs, 3 pancakes, 3 slices of toast, homefries, 3 slices of peameal bacon, 3 sausages and 3 regular bacon.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: DaleK on June 07, 2013, 07:42:47 PM
Looks like slim pickings. Farmer breakfast here at the truck stop is 3 eggs, 3 pancakes, 3 slices of toast, homefries, 3 slices of peameal bacon, 3 sausages and 3 regular bacon.

Looks like a Truck Stop Heart Attack.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

I was raised on those kind of breakfasts (and Suppers).  When I hit 300 I gave them up to prevent what Post wrote above.  But I quit on good terms.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

bandmiller2

Replace those cheezy grits with homefries and most of us will be quite happy north and south. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cutterboy

Like Frank said, replace the cheezy grits with homefries and then I'd replace the regular grits with cornbeef hash. digin_2
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

hamish

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 07, 2013, 07:58:48 PM
Quote from: DaleK on June 07, 2013, 07:42:47 PM

Looks like a Truck Stop Heart Attack.  :D

Much rather have a heart attack than eat grits!  just kidding.

Ones lifestyle and environment have alot to do with what is considered a healthy and well balanced diet.

Grits, biscuits n gravy and possums are not edible above the 49th!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hamish on June 07, 2013, 08:26:44 PM

Grits, biscuits n gravy and possums are not edible above the 49th!

Come on Hamish.....taste like Chicken.  :D

WDH

What?  First grits and now biscuits and gravy?  Oh, what sacrilege  smiley_gossip.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dgdrls

No coffee.....  Preposterous!!  :D

DGD

thecfarm

I would not want to offend them nice ladies form Alabama,but I would pull my plate back when they would try to put the grits on my plate. Those biscuits and gravy sure does sound good.
Just the other morning I sliced up some of my wife biscuits and put them in a cast iron fry pan. Lots and lots of butter,4 eggs,with cheese on top,a steak,I had some store brought hash browns and a gub of The C Farm jam on the side. That will keep you going until noon. I like to eat and than work it off and come back in and eat and go back out and work it off.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on June 07, 2013, 09:15:54 PM
I would not want to offend them nice ladies form Alabama,but I would pull my plate back when they would try to put the grits on my plate. Those biscuits and gravy sure does sound good.
Just the other morning I sliced up some of my wife biscuits and put them in a cast iron fry pan. Lots and lots of butter,4 eggs,with cheese on top,a steak,I had some store brought hash browns and a gub of The C Farm jam on the side. That will keep you going until noon. I like to eat and than work it off and come back in and eat and go back out and work it off.  ;D

However....if you would eat Grits right off the bat when the sun came up.....you'd never have to stop work until sundown.  ;D

WDH

I bet those Alabama ladies really knew how to cook grits. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Poston are you saying I would not get hungry if I ate grits??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on June 07, 2013, 09:30:02 PM
Poston are you saying I would not get hungry if I ate grits??

You might get hungary.....but at least you would "know it all".  :D :D :D :D :D (get it?)  :D

thecfarm

Got it.  ;D 
When I cooked up that breakfast it was around 8 in the morning. Than around 11:30 my wife calls me and ask,What do you want for lunch?  :o   I like to go out and work for a while and than come in and eat.

Kingcha

Before baking the breakfast pizza

Just out of the oven

Nothing better for breakfast  sausage gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage and lots of cheese on a homemade pizza dough.
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

thecfarm

Kingcha,If I leave now,I will miss breakfast.  :(

NCDiesel

I cannot believe no one has mentioned the two greatest breakfast foods:  Sawmill Grits and Sawmill gravy. 

I don't think "sawmill grits" have an official definition, but around here it usually means any roasted and then ground (as opposed to lye treated hominy) grits.  I have also heard them called Rockinghominy(not sure of the spelling).  Someone once told me sawmill grits are pan-roasted, then water is added.  Anyway - They are tougher to eat if you don't like texture, but it has a much stronger corn taste and the sweetness of the corn starch is not ruined by the lye.

Sawmill gravy, in my experience, has a much more standard definition nationwide and is any milk based gravy prepared from pork drippings.  In these parts the pork is country ham, though sausage drippings pass many folks definitions too.

Add biscuits and homemade fig jam and I don't need anything else.  No eggs or nothing.   Of course, like other posters have mentioned, just once a week is enough.  Granola or special K and yogurt the rest of the week.  I ain't 21 any more.

Sawyers must have loved breakfast if they named two great foods after us.   :)
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Thank You Sponsors!