iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live oak one of my favorite timbers

Started by zombie woods, June 07, 2013, 12:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie woods

Seems to be mostly overlooked ,
big bohemoth boles up in central florida mostly busted up for firewood seems ashame.
I know it has its drawbacks as lumber but if all its quirks are taken into consideration beforehand it can make some magnificant slabs and beams .
I cut 16 quater live edge slabs sticker theim outside for years then remill to 3 inch plus and use theim in a project where you can allow for even more movement in service .
its hard , heavy and likes to do the potato chip thing when seasoning but the wood is beauiful in a rustic way and the stuff is pratically imperishable .
Other fans ?

Nomad

I don't have much experience with it, but I've sawed some for customers.  I've never seen what it looks like after drying.  It is pretty wood and as you said, heavy. 
     I cut some 42" slabs last fall that were real nice.  It cut well with the slabber, but clearly hard stuff.
     I wouldn't mind trying some more, but I haven't cut enough of it to really form an opinion yet.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Seaman

Zombie, what kind of saw are you slabbing with?
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

zombie woods

LT 40 with 34 hp cat and 055 4 degree wm blades and a peterson mill with a slabbing attachment for the big ones .

Tee

Quote from: Seaman on June 07, 2013, 06:21:48 AM
Zombie, what kind of saw are you slabbing with?
Frank
Frank,
      Find us someone interested in the wood. I'll bring some up (logs).
Tee

Thank You Sponsors!