iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3-53 cutting out

Started by Nemologger, June 06, 2013, 10:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemologger

My 225 Jack has a 3-53 Detroit in it. Yesterday while skidding up a hill I noticed it would start cutting out and sputtering when I would have to shift to another gear, If I had it cobbed it ran fine. Finally it got to where it was sputtering so bad all the time I barely got her out of the woods. Smokes pretty bad too.
Here is what I have tried...Changed fuel filters, There was some reddish snot stuff in then, not real bad. Put on a new fuel line...blowed through the return line to make sure it was returning to tank. drained fuel tank and replaced with new fuel...added Lucus fuel stabilizer....still cuts out and will hardly pull itself in second low! I took the fuel line off at the filter and put a can of fuel on the hood and ran a gravity line to the filter thinking the fuel pump was bad...still sputters and misses. Any one have any ideas?
Clean and Sober

DDDfarmer

If the fuel side looks good, what about the air?  353 is a massive air pump, filter could be clogged.  with a clogged filter you lose RPM's and makes lots of smoke.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

mad murdock

What color is the smoke? If not air limited, and fuel looks good from tank, next logical place to look at would be injectors.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

timberlinetree

Bad or contaminated fuel? Good luck
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Nemologger

Thanks for the replies guys. I took the air filter out and started it, it was the same so I don't think its air related. The smoke is a bluish grey. This is driving me nuts!
Clean and Sober

doghunter

put a 100 lb pressure gauge in the fuel system down stream of the supply pump you should have from 25-65 pounds 

John Woodworth

Are you spending a lot of time ideling, as Detroits are not ment for extended idle times. put a quart or two depending on size of fuel tank of ATF in the fuel and it will blow out the carbon and clean the injectors.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

mad murdock

Quote from: John Woodworth on June 07, 2013, 01:09:21 PM
Are you spending a lot of time ideling, as Detroits are not ment for extended idle times. put a quart or two depending on size of fuel tank of ATF in the fuel and it will blow out the carbon and clean the injectors.
By your report on the color of the smoke, I think John W is onto it!  Follow his lead, it will get you going again, I bet!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

cutter88

I pull the valve cover and check the rack a good chance it s a bad injector though...
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

bushmechanic

Don't rule out fuel yet cause where the fuel goes into the primary filter there is a 90 degree brass fitting and anywhere there is a quick turn in a fuel system you can get dirt accumulation. If this is your problem then the can on the roof will tell you nothing. Also I have had the tube fittings leak air into the system but no fuel out, very hard to find that one. Sure sounds like an injector also so pull the top pan and do a screwdriver test to see. Make sure that the blower shut off is not partly closed also.

Thank You Sponsors!