iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking B-16

Started by hookdrvr, June 06, 2013, 10:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hookdrvr

I've been looking at bandsaw mills and was planning on getting a WM lt-15. I've run across a used B-16, it hasn't run in a few years, tires are dry rotted, probably other issues, carb's on engines, etc. I'm not worried about fixing it, sweat equity is easier to come by then money these days.
What issues should I look for on this mill? What tire/wheel size do they have? I'd like to take two mounted tires with me to get it ready to roll? Any other advice on a B-16?
Thanks.
Timber King B16
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

dboyt

Belts & bearings, condition of the bandwheel surface.  Assume that you'll need to replace hydraulic lines.  If they motor runs, check the hydraulic functions.  At least check the carriage height adjustment (I believe it runs on 12V, so you might bring a batter & jumper cables).  No telling what adjusting and aligning.  Any extra blades with it?  They're a pretty basic machine, and you should be able to fix any problems.  Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

ladylake

I'm running a B20 which is a longer version of the B16, it came with 225 75 16 tires with 5 hole rims I think.  Are all the hydraulics on the one your looking at, chain turner, toe boards, log lift, hyd  log stops, hyd clamp, hyd feed, setworks. Update  I checked this morning, 6 bolt rims / Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

hookdrvr

So far I've found out the wheels are 15" with a small chevy bolt pattern. The band blade was removed/stolen several years ago, but I was planning on getting a box of blades anyway, possibly Cook's?? I've read up on the band wheels, figured to check the bearings out along with the hyd. hoses. I'm planning on pulling it about 500 miles back home, would this be an issue pulling it this far normally?? I'm planning on looking hard at the frame, alignment, squareness, etc.
Good to know about the head, I'll take a battery and jumpers to see if the motor runs the adjustment as it should. Supposdely the mill has low hours, for its age, so we'll see.
Thanks for any advice.
Timber King B16
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

dboyt

Quote from: hookdrvr on June 07, 2013, 09:17:51 AM
I'm planning on pulling it about 500 miles back home, would this be an issue pulling it this far normally??

Now I understand why you were so concerned about the wheels.  Spare wouldn't be a bad idea.  Might bring along a little grease for the wheel bearings.  What are you pulling it with?  Might pick up a set of magnetic tail lights.  Just be careful backing up and changing lanes!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

bama20a

Mine has 6 hole chevy bolt pattern for sure, ;D Took it off my van ;D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Thank You Sponsors!