iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 440D winch driveline

Started by jdatwood, June 04, 2013, 07:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdatwood

Anyone know what the secret is to keeping the winch driveline tight on the splines? I put new grade 8 bolts on it occasionally to tighten it up and after awhile it gets loose again. Its almost as if the bolts stretch out after a bit. The nuts are captive and are not loosening so its not them. It seems to me the bolts should have been 1/2" not 3/8". The steel is pretty *DanG hard so I would hate to drill them out larger but maybe that's the cure. If I run them loose to much the splines will wear then I'll have an expensive mess! maybe its just the way these are? Any thoughts, experiences, helpful words of wisdom?
Thanks

Nemologger

On my 440d I had a problem with it being loose so I tightened it up as tight as I could get it without twisting it off so far it has stayed tight for 3 years now. The bolts on mine are factory bolts with the hex allen heads. Maybe you need to see a dealer and try to get the factory bolts. Good Luck.
Clean and Sober

Mapleman

This is just a thought, and I'm not real familiar with the JD 440, but if the driveline is a drive shaft with U-joints and the yokes aren't correctly aligned, this could cause excessive vibration that could loosen the bolts.
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

jdatwood

Quote from: Nemologger on June 07, 2013, 10:42:04 PM
On my 440d I had a problem with it being loose so I tightened it up as tight as I could get it without twisting it off so far it has stayed tight for 3 years now. The bolts on mine are factory bolts with the hex allen heads. Maybe you need to see a dealer and try to get the factory bolts. Good Luck.

Nemologger, You were right on! No more clanking driveline, I got some allen head bolts from the hardware store doubtful it would make any difference and it did the trick. I asked some mechanics why that was and they said even though there are not grade indications on that type of bolt they fall in the 10 range. I can now crank them right down tight and they don't even come close to breaking. Thank you for the tip my machine is now quiet and stealthy (as a skidder can be)  ::)

Nemologger

Good deal!!! Glad things worked out for you. Work safe man.
Clean and Sober

Thank You Sponsors!