iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ms461 stihl

Started by doghunter, June 04, 2013, 05:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doghunter

has anyone had any experience with stihl's new ms461? needing to update my saws and wondering how they compare with the ms460
                                              thanks virgil

Tom L

I just bought one, only two tanks of gas thru it, has a lot of power and runs a 28" bar pretty good
hope it lasts as long as my other stihl saws

joe_indi

Maybe the fuel here sucks and so these issues IMHO, are limited to our area, I have been hearing of numerous crankshaft failures, piston damage, muffler failures and such.
Operators here are hoping that they re-introduce the MS460, like they did with the 038(MS380 and now MS381).
Joe

AdkStihl

Nothing but excellent reviews on this side of the big pond.
Search YouTube.....some great vids of the 461
J.Miller Photography

joe_indi

Quote from: AdkStihl on June 06, 2013, 04:18:24 PM
Nothing but excellent reviews on this side of the big pond.
Search YouTube.....some great vids of the 461

x2 on that, but like I said, here it seems to be fuel related because our fuel usually <90 RON.
Another probable cause might be the 18" guidebars that are the norm here. Most of the time the saws are running without enough load. To counter this possibility I have my customers using 8 teeth rim sprockets.
After my trials, I too had posted a video on Youtube:
http://youtu.be/4bfZarY9jvY

cutter88

ive got about 80hrs on mine and its working great I find its harder on gas then my straight ms 460 but all in all a great saw
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Frickman

I bought one back in March and have a couple hundred hours on it by now. The MS 461 is the best saw for cutting Eastern hardwood timber that I have ever run. Ten percent ethanol in the fuel doesn't bother it, it was designed to run on it.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

saxon0364

Quote from: Frickman on July 02, 2013, 10:16:51 AM
I bought one back in March and have a couple hundred hours on it by now.

Got mine back in March as well.   Quickly became my "go to" saw every day..   So far I have no complaints.
Nothing wrong with quiet.

Thank You Sponsors!