iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Framers in Oklahoma

Started by nightfury, June 04, 2013, 03:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightfury

Hello,

This is my first post on the forestry forum, so I hope I am posting this in the right place.

My father is a retired stick-framer and I wasn't able to gain too much experience from him. I have began to form a deep interest in timber framing as I would be a 5th generation carpenter and I would love to learn a trade with so much pride and artistic value. I am a hard worker and have a large aptitude to learn. I just finished a bachelor's degree in Environmental science. Now that my studies are completed, I would love to learn or do an apprenticeship with someone in Oklahoma or close by. I would love to learn this trade and master it one day. I haven't seen any timber frame homes or barns in Oklahoma and do not know of anyone who timber frames.

I recently purchased the Jack Sobon book on timber framing, but would much rather learn from someone in person. I may not have much experience but I am driven and would give 110%.  ;D

Jim_Rogers

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure there are some timber framers in OK. There are some in just about every state. You'll just have to find one.

After you have read Jack's book, consider doing a small beginner project. Something like a mailbox post with beam and brace. It's a very good beginner project.

Keep reading and keep asking questions.

Jim Rogers

PS. I just checked my TFG (timber framers guild) membership book and there are 5 timber framers listed in OK. The towns listed are, Fairview, Midwest City, Tulsa, Blanchard, and Marshall. Are you near one of these?
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

nightfury

I will try the mailbox post project first and get my hands wet per say. I am about a 1 1/2 hours from Blanchard and Midwest City. If you could help me get in contact with any of these timber framers I would be more than happy. Thank you for the reply and hope to get some pics up as soon as I get the project done.

Thank You Sponsors!