iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timber felling tools.

Started by trainwreck, June 03, 2013, 10:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainwreck

to start off im not sure if this is the right place to post this.

what tools and equipment do you carry with you while you are out cutting for the day.

and how do you carry this stuff with you?

Thanks
trainwreck

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, trainwreck.   :)

How about more of an introduction and describing what kind of "cutting" that you are doing because it is a very broad subject.   Are you referring to what they might have on their person or in their truck. etc?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

trainwreck,how did you think up that name?  ;D  Welcome to the forum. And what I carry is on my own land and tractor. I need something else,I head for the house and get it. And I hope I don't have to head for the house,because than I'm in a mess.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

trainwreck

ok  for the intro part of things.

Im a 29 year old heavy equipment operator from salem oregon.  i have been running equipment for about 10 years. i spend about 75% of my working time doing railroad related work.  The rest of my time is spent clearing land and working in rock pits.

Thing in the railroad side of the company i work for have gotten really slow this year so my boss has found a logger that needed some help, so they sent me and our john deere 2554 log loader out to work with this logger. 
i spend most of the day sorting and loading logs, but i do get out and run chain saw some.     I am learning to fall timber when im not busy loading.

So  is am wanting to know what you guys carry on you when your out cutting?

Wedges  what size and how many?
axe?  if so what size
tools?
gas can oil jug?  how big?
and what ever else you pack around with you while working in the woods.

thanks.

oh and the name.

the company i work for cleans up train wrecks all over the northwest.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
When I'm out clearing trees (not logging) on my land, generally the largest will be less than 48" DBH. I carry up to six wedges (8" or 12"), gas/oil mix in a two gallon can for the saw, gallon jug of bar oil, scrench, hand files for the chain, small hatchet, and a five pound axe. Additionally, I'll be wearing my PPE when I walk to the area. I also keep plenty of water or gatorade on hand for hydration. This time of year, I'll also carry bug spray.
There's probably more I could add, but it depends on the job.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

240b

When I chopped without a skidder and had to lug everything around for me..  an army pistol belt with alice suspenders wedge pouch with three tripple tapper grass valley wedges 12"min. First aid kit army IFAK works good, plus small mirror to get stuff out of your eye.. Files, flat and round, wrench . extra loop of chain. couple msr fuel bottles oil gas depending how far from truck. Heavy ax (not one of those little rafting axes) buy a cheap one you will lose it, paint handle blue red whatever color you like. Water at least one qt couple powerbars. Lime green mesh vest, helmet,eye pro, kevlar pants,boots. Probably 30 pounds of junk to lug around.  I'd want to be getting paid some decent wages to do this again. I find it waaaay easier to cut my own hitches with the skidder.Plus I can have a spare saw on the machine.. I realize that probably is not possible for you.. Make sure the companies insurance will cover you if you are on the ground running a saw and not just in a cab.. And be careful if your working with guys whos english may not be perfect.

Thank You Sponsors!