iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this?

Started by YellowHammer, June 03, 2013, 09:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Here's a tree that fell in a recent storm.  The leaves are wilted so are hard to make out.  The owner wants to cut it into lumber, and asked me to ID it.  I'm not much into sawing hollow logs, but I'd still like to know what it is.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Basswood.  Leaves should be heart-shaped, toothed, and smooth to the touch.  There should be a color difference between top of leaf and the underside, where the underside is lighter in color. 

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=88

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Thanks
That sure looks like it 8)
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

I have never sawn any, but I bet it saws really well.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

If that is like the bass wood in Maine,Tilia americana,it might be rotted hearted. My Father met my Mother and her Father was a wood worker. So my Father thinking he could get some browney points from his future FIL went and cut some bass wood. It was all rotten. No points that time.  :D I heard that story quite often when I was home. Memories.

I think that stuff rots pretty quick. Don't think it would take being stickered right outside with nothing over it for a year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Saws OK, rots easily holds paint pretty good is usually pretty knot free.
my 2c
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!