iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Down time stinks

Started by Woodboogah, June 03, 2013, 01:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

Last weds.  a wheel cylinder cup went in my winch assembly.  No big deal run down to the store pick  up a few and have some spares.  On my way there I notice smoke coming from my truck tailpipe.  I went home and started tearing into that and figured out my turbo was on its way out.  Ordered one up stuck it in on Saturday and thought I was good to go.  No such luck, EGR cooler is gone and possibly head gaskets I made the decision just to bring it in to get fixed quicker and if anything else was busted up they would most likely have access to parts faster then me.  I am lost with all this down time.  Losing money faster then its coming in and just going nuts being at home.  My dog is keeping me sane anyways.  I know tough times pass, this a a big hit though for a one man operation. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

snowstorm

Quote from: Woodboogah on June 03, 2013, 01:47:47 PM
Last weds.  a wheel cylinder cup went in my winch assembly.  No big deal run down to the store pick  up a few and have some spares.  On my way there I notice smoke coming from my truck tailpipe.  I went home and started tearing into that and figured out my turbo was on its way out.  Ordered one up stuck it in on Saturday and thought I was good to go.  No such luck, EGR cooler is gone and possibly head gaskets I made the decision just to bring it in to get fixed quicker and if anything else was busted up they would most likely have access to parts faster then me.  I am lost with all this down time.  Losing money faster then its coming in and just going nuts being at home.  My dog is keeping me sane anyways.  I know tough times pass, this a a big hit though for a one man operation.
6.0 ford?? delete the egr cooler. if the cooler leaks it will burn antifreeze

240b

Things like this always happen to me on a Friday before a holiday weekend and everything is close till tuesday..

Corley5

Diversify  ;) ;D  I process firewood in addition to timber harvesting.  When a piece on one side is down usually  ;) ;D  the other side is still producing.  Down time still stinks.  My harvester has been down a few days waiting for AC parts but it was a good time as I've had other things that have needed attention and a couple of them even paid some $$$ but I'm getting low on hardwood pulp to process now.  Shoulda kept the 10 cords of 100" I sold a couple weeks ago :)  My AC stuff will be at CARQUEST in the AM  8)  Hang in there  :)  There are worse professions  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Woodboogah

I do some climbing on the side when needed, just not needed right now.  You hit the nail on the head with the 6.0.  I have had no problems until now with it.  I guess everything mechanical is bound to break, usually at the worst times.  Could be a lot worse.  Getting married Saturday to boot. 

timberlinetree

High notes, low notes - we all hit 'em! Good luck with the break downs... I have been having the same type of week. Hoping for a better week next week! Congratulations to you and your new wife!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Woodboogah

Yup, name of the game I guess.  Thanks for the congrats!!  Be back at it next week, hitting it hard. Hope your week gets better!

clww

:( Sorry for your problems/Happy for the wedding! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mark686

my week has been the same this week one thing to another. congads on the wedding

smwwoody

Cut a skidder tire right out of the gate today.  We all have them days
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Ed_K

Congrats on your wedding. When you get back everything will be a lot better.
Ed K

redprospector

I feel your pain. I blew the engine in my Fecon FTX 90 last week. I've been 3 day's getting the engine out and marking all the wires & hoses. I decided to do it myself to keep me outa trouble while down, and no one wanted to do a Frankenstein for me.  :D I'm pulling a Deutz, and going back with a Cat.
Being down from a broken pickup truck is the worst. I tried going with multiple older trucks, but every time I need one because my truck needs attention, I find out that my wife has let one of the kids (the youngest being 29) use the others and they need attention too.  >:(
Oh well, I figure I'm a blessed man! I do what I want for a living. I'm my own boss, and I own some equipment and trucks to have to work on when they go down. What more could a man ask for?  :D

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

thecfarm

Good luck with the repairs and congratulations on the getting married part on Saturday.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodboogah

Back in the woods.  Machine is running, truck is back to normal, and I'm married.  Doesnt seem like anything has changed minus the amount of mud now, might be out of the woods due to that for a little while.  Anyone else having mud issues?

bill m

I have no idea when I will be able to get back into the woods with all the rain we have had in the last four weeks.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ed_K

Dumped the rain guage this morning had 2 1/8 " Went to work,been cutting ash and softmaple,useing the tractor to bunch,picked up a 20" double and moved to the side of skid rd,went foward grabed to next double started to backup and the front tires disapeared.Glad I have the winch on to pull it out,but I was on wrong side of cut to get out to the truck.Seems it'll be a day or more to get logs to the landing.I'm getting depressed with this,It's been allmost a yr since I had a good logging job to do,price of ash is good and now it's still in the woods  :( .
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!