iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manual LT-35 Drive motor

Started by Ruffneck, June 02, 2013, 07:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffneck

I was having problems with my drive motor on my LT-35. WM replaced it under warranty and I was on my way. After milling the first log the motor quit again. Now, I'm out in the boonies needing to get going on this job and broke down.
I decided to take the motor apart to see what makes it tic. While taking the cover off, I notice water coming out :o Now, that don't seem right. Anyway, upon further investigation, the brush was sticking on the new motor. The bracket that holds it seemed racked. I bent it a bit and it seems to work fine.

I couldn't help but laugh. I figure this is just part of owning equipment. Kind of felt good to just go for it and fix it on my own ;D Sawed for a couple hours and called it a day :)
The motor was dated 12/12 so it was replaced. WM knows they've had issues with it in the past.
Think I may put some sort of electrical grease on it to help it out. The moisture does concern me. I'll let them know about it but continue milling. 

Peter Drouin

Good job , some times you have to grab the bull by the horns and go for it :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I would be looking for and eliminating the source for the water.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ruffneck

No doubt Magicman! I called WM just to let them know, I was told he added the electrical tape to help prevent that. I didn't transport it in the rain, the water got in there with it just sitting. Maybe some other kind of tape would work. Not real worried at this time, rain is going to be a ways off now.
The best fix would be to put it in the sawmill shed :D

Magicman

Don't sound right.  Electrical components should be waterproof.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ruffneck

I have to agree 100% on that MM. I'll have to deal with this in more detail after this years' job. Just got to get this job done ASAP :)
Thanks!

Piston

I imagine WM will be changing this design shortly. 

Aside from that, how do you like the LT35?
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Ruffneck

I'm sure they will Piston. They knew they've had some bad motors come along.
It's working good now and I'm sawing like mad! I am at 40 hours on the meter  ;D
As I work I dream of the LT 70 and LT 40. They call it a manual mill for a reason. :D :D :D
Wish I could have got some hydraulics, but this is all I could afford. I think the next addition to my operation may be a tractor. The swear jar is filling up fast :)

thecfarm

A tractor or a something would be a BIG help. I have a manual mill and use my loader to put the logs onto the bed. That's my hyds.  :D  I do have a deck,but lately seem like I am only sawing one log and than build with it and go get another log.I have even turned some of the bigger ones the tractor too. I don't saw too many logs that I can not turn with a peavey. I only saw for myself. And my wife.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

millwright

I've noticed on my LT35 that if you don't shut the blade lube off at the end of a cut, it tends to carry along the blade until it hits the blade guide roller, then it  will drip down on the motor.

Piston

Quote from: Ruffneck on June 12, 2013, 12:22:58 AM
I'm sure they will Piston. They knew they've had some bad motors come along.
It's working good now and I'm sawing like mad! I am at 40 hours on the meter  ;D
As I work I dream of the LT 70 and LT 40. They call it a manual mill for a reason. :D :D :D
Wish I could have got some hydraulics, but this is all I could afford. I think the next addition to my operation may be a tractor. The swear jar is filling up fast :)

I have tractor with a grapple, and I would never trade the tractor and my manual mill even for a decked out LT70.   ;D
I highly recommend a tractor with fel grapple, or if nothing else, front forks.  Like Cfarm, that's my hydraulics!  I still work hard with my LT15, but I'm not doing this to make a living, and it's a lot easier for me to turn a large log on the mill than it is for me to pull a tree out of the woods by hand  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!