iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pacemakers

Started by Buddyw, June 02, 2013, 05:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddyw

Hello !    Does any one here have a pacemaker ? If so , I was wondering just how were you getting along with it ?  I just received mine back in February this year and I am having a time getting use to this new life style. I been a equipment mechanic all my life and have always worked outside. Never got too hot , wet , or cold , had to eat so I worked.  Since I received this new contraption (pacemaker) LOL , I have a shortness of breath , and I already noticed I cannot take much heat. Starting to get into the 80's and 90's here in the days now,  and I completely run out of gas and air takes me twice as long to do anything.
I was thinking earlier today about asking this on here so here it is . LOL

js2743

My grand father had one but never heard him complain of any symptoms your having. Maybe you have something else going on that you should see your Dr. about asap.

Ianab

Are you on different medications since they fitted the pacemaker?

Meds for cholesterol and blood pressure can have weird side effects.

I agree with the "See your Doc" advice too.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GAB

Buddyw:
I have a defib....r (cant spell it) and not a pacemaker.  I do not have the stamina I had before I got that, and I have noticed that my hair feels different and other anomalies, but I think a lot of it has to do with the medication.  I only had 4 medication changes in about 6 weeks as the docs were trying to stabilize my BP.  When I reported for my stress test my BP averaged 200+/100+ laying down, sitting, and standing.  That was the end of the stress test that day.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doctorb

There are several different categories of pacemakers.  Some are "on demand" pacers that provide an increase in heart rate when your body asks for it.  Others merely pace when your heart rate gets too low, so your don't get bradycardic (too slow a pulse). Others pace your heart due to abnormal electrical stimuli that have led to arrythmias, and work constantly.  They can be and need to be fine-tuned for your needs and your symptoms.  Talk to your cardiologist and discuss your symptoms with him/her. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Howdy

I received my pacemaker in 2009 due to a slow heart rate, something called Bradycardia (35 bpm on average). At that time I was also prescribed a medicine called Acebutolo to help regulate my heart rate. 

After receiving the pacemaker I now have a minimum of 60 beats per minute.  However lately I have been feeling weak and out of breath a lot so when the doctor tested my pacemaker he found it was working overtime trying to maintain regular beats.  Atrial fibrillation is when the electrical impulses within the heart are out of sequence.  To correct this I
required electrical cardioversion, the doctor zapped me twice with the paddles and the heart beats fell in line. 

Now I am able to due mild levels of work and the affects of my orthostatic blood pressure which is when the body cannot provide sufficient blood pressure to my brain when I stand are almost gone. 

So after all this, what affects do I notice after receiving my pacemaker?  I also have Leukemia so any input I can offer may be affected by my current health status.  Everyone's results are different and communication with your doctor is required.  Listen to your body and find the things you can do.  Every day is gonna be different and some days are better than others. 

Buddyw

Thanks for the replies . 
I have been back and had a talk with my cardiologist , and everything is in check. Had a stress test done found no problem. The stent fixed the plumbing !
I had the pacemaker checked (fine tuned) no problem their.
Went had a lung exam done complete , along with chest x rays . All sent to a fancy lung expert. I set and had a powwow with him.  Again , no problem found. He did suggest me trying a inhaler,  when I was having a  issue running out of air .  He also suggested me trying one of my nitro pills when I have a spell breathing. Doing this would tell if it was a lung issue or a heart issue.    I just don't know !!!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!