iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fachwerk restoration

Started by Troy Schon, June 02, 2013, 01:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy Schon

Hello!
I,m looking for information on German timber frame house restoration. Thanks.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello Troy, 

Welcome to the Forestry Forum! 

I might be able to recommend some, but the quality ones are probably going to be in German.  What are you specific questions.  We have a number of well versed Timberwrights on this forum that have excellent foundations in Germanic half timber and other timber architecture styles, as well as historical restoration work.

Regards,

Jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Troy Schon

I'm looking for other examples of German scarfs. The frame I will be repairing has a couple simple lapped and pegged scarfs. Frame is an 1867 German farmhouse. Hewn oak, walnut, and some elm. Thanks.

D L Bahler

Depends on region. Often scarfs are very simple laps, or even a butt and spline arrangement. Sometimes they are complicated -depends on who is doing it.

Here is a good website detailing various joints

http://www.modellbau-quedlinburg.de/mbq/cms/front_content.php?idcat=134

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello Troy,

All I can say at this point is what David said in post #4.  Please tell us if we can help more.

Great responsed David!!!

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Troy Schon

Thank you gentlemen, that's a great site! Does anyone know of any restoration workshops going on this summer with wattle and daub?
Thanks,
Troy Schon

Jay C. White Cloud

Thank You Sponsors!