iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Money saving oil leak

Started by smwwoody, June 01, 2013, 10:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

Wednesday afternoon at the end of the day when the skidder operator shutdown for the day we noticed a stream of oil flowing out of the bottom of the skidder.  looked like it was coming from the tranny or torque converter.  we pulled the floor pan out to look for the leak.  nothing obvious so we fired the skidder up to look for it.  Wow the drive shaft between the tranny and converter was running out of round by what looked like almost an inch.  shut it down to find the u joint was gone and ready to cut loose.  if it would have cut loose who knows how much damage it would have done.  found the oil leak too.  it was just a loose pump on the back of the torque converter.  this was the best oil leak i have ever had.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

clww

You were definitely fortunate. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

customdave

Good catch!!!

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

giant splinter

Thats the way to go and it saved you some serious money by finding it on time, I confirms that a walk around is good preventative maintenance and whenever there is a puddle or even a little wet spot under any rig its a good time to get under there and check it out.
roll with it

g_man

Boy looking after stuff right away really pays off. You helped make your own good luck on that one.
Maintaining equipment that is worked hard sure makes life interesting.

Ken

Now would also be a good time to remind the operator that when there is a loose u-joint there is usually a vibration.  Universals are cheap, yokes and drive shafts not so much. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

smwwoody

yea i told him what to listen and feel for and he said itwas starting to give a little louder clunk when he shifted.  I told him to tell me as soon as he thinks something sounds a little different.  this is the reason I like to grease everything at least one time a week myself and do the oil changes and pressure washes myself.  it gives me a chance to look things over  good
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!