iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how safe is this!

Started by jonnywood, May 30, 2013, 05:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnywood

a friend was having his place loged and this is the trainsport truck.

and its my first pic!
im sure his is safer than my transport system!

beenthere

Good on the pics.

How safe?  If it passes the highway patrol or sherriff, then looks good to go. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

The Mack log truck looks fine to me. I see three straps on the bunks.
The pickup truck looks fine, too. Cedar is pretty light. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

bill m

The top log ( may be more, I can only see one ) is higher then the stakes. Doesn't matter how many straps are on it, guaranteed stop here in Mass.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ianab

Quote from: bill m on May 30, 2013, 08:42:20 PM
The top log ( may be more, I can only see one ) is higher then the stakes. Doesn't matter how many straps are on it, guaranteed stop here in Mass.

That was my thoughts too. Definite no-no on the road here.

How big a safety risk it creates is debatable, but the consequences of a log falling off on the highway can be deadly. So they don't even take the chance.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Timbercruiser

Just another logger trying to make one dollar  :D Looks safe to me nice old mack too

newstick

It looks to heavy to be legal for that truck.
Im am owner operator of Newberg Forest Products.We are a convental logging company with a Timbco feller buncher, two John Deere skidders , a strokeboom delimber, and a Serco log loader with circle slasher saw.
In the summer time my other company builds Handcrafted Log Homes. I love the woods!

sawguy21

That was my first thought.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thenorthman

I'm sorry I don't see anything wrong...  He may be a little over height, but that's hard to tell with a picture...
well that didn't work

Gary_C

I don't see anything wrong either. The top outside log is touching two stakes below the midpoint of the log and it must be legal height as the loader is taller than the load.

Looks like the driver or the loader of the Mack knows exactly what he is doing.

Now the pickup may not be legal because there are no tiedown straps or netting.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

bill m

The height of the loader has nothing to do with the height of the load. The height of the stakes determine how high you can load the truck. Here in Mass. no logs can be completely above the stakes no matter where it is on the load and the middle log on that truck is above the stakes. Other states regulations may be different.

thecfarm

billm,you talked about Mass laws before. They sound like that are some tough and strict. Maybe Maine is the same way. I've been out of that loop for many years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

Mass. DOT is tough. A friend of mine was stopped with a brand new tri-axle. The only thing they could fine him for was plastic valve stem caps - not steel.

thecfarm

Quote from: bill m on May 31, 2013, 07:29:13 AMA friend of mine was stopped with a brand new tri-axle. The only thing they could fine him for was plastic valve stem caps - not steel.

Caps being plastic really matters?   ::)  Guess it does somehow. If something hits the stem the caps,be it plastic or steel is not going to help. A fine with a new truck. No mercy at all. I could see it if he was over loaded,but..........
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kemper

I can't remember the last time I hauled a load that wasn't over weight. Around here you keep stacking until you run out of wood, out of room or it becomes unsafe. The pulp mill won't pay you anything over 95,000 lbs. found that out once with over 102,000 lbs. I try not to get over 13', but the Cummins M11 can tell when she has a full load.

Gary_C

Quote from: bill m on May 31, 2013, 07:22:10 AM
Here in Mass. no logs can be completely above the stakes no matter where it is on the load and the middle log on that truck is above the stakes.

Here are the rules from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Cargo Securement Rules that all states including Mass. have adopted:

Specific Securement Requirements by Commodity Type
393.116 What are the rules for securing logs?

Use of securement system.
(1) Logs must be solidly packed, and the outer bottom logs must be in contact with and resting solidly against the bunks, bolsters, stakes or standards.
(2) Each outside log on the side of a stack of logs must touch at least two stakes, bunks, bolsters, or standards. If one end does not actually touch a stake, it must rest on other logs in a stable manner and must extend beyond the stake, bunk, bolster or standard.
(3) The center of the highest outside log on each side or end must be below the top of each stake, bunk or standard.
(4) Each log that is not held in place by contact with other logs or the stakes, bunks, or standards must be held in place by a tiedown. Additional tiedowns or securement devices must be used when the condition of the wood results in such low friction between logs that they are likely to slip upon each other.

Now that doesn't mean that Mass. DOT will not make their own rules as they do that here too, but item (3) is the rule and the load shown is in compliance with that rule.

RayMO

The load is safe as long as the truck has brakes enough to stop it  ;D Legality and safety do not alway equate by the way....
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

bill m

I wasn't referring to the log against the top of the stakes it's the ones on top of that that will red flag that load to the Mass. DOT.

jonnywood

thanks for all the input. the logers are doing a wonderful job. I mostly just wanted to post some pic's!

not sure i would want to drive that top heavy truck around some of ower curvy roads..
i think he told me he could get 80 to 83k loads with it. not too shabby with a small truck

Gary_C

Quote from: bill m on May 31, 2013, 11:06:03 AM
I wasn't referring to the log against the top of the stakes it's the ones on top of that that will red flag that load to the Mass. DOT.

Yes, I was aware of the logs you were refering to on the top of his load. But according to the FMCSA's rules, that is perfectly legal.

In fact it is required that you crown the top of your load of logs so that your straps touch each and every log. And that will require that if the center of the outside log is right at the top of the stakes, the next log inside of that outside log must be higher than the stakes.

Now if you had a large log sitting well on top of two close spaced smaller logs on the top of that load, you would probably get stopped here. But as long as you can only see about half of that higher log, you should be OK.

coxy

we had an old mack 10 wheeler years ago that had 95000 gvw it was owned by a block plant    but never though it had the power to pull 60000 pounds all in all it was good to us that load looks fine     never fear the mack is here that's what my buddy use to say

Jim_Rogers

Years ago, when I ran a truck on the road we all ran around trying to find steel valve stem caps. And I did as well and I put them on everything I owned on the road, just to be sure.
Then someone dug up that there was no "law" or rule about that. There maybe now.
But I was advised if I got a ticket for it to appeal the ticket and ask for the exact law by number to be listed. Which they couldn't because there wasn't one, at that time.

As I mentioned things may have changed. But if I was about to get a ticket for not having them I'd politely ask the officer to list the law number on the ticket.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

timberlinetree

Nice legal load of logs. The truckers have been doing a great job around our area. Been a long time since I have heard of any logs falling from a truck, but could be wrong... I don't hear all the hype. Don't have t.v. to hear all the news. My heart goes out to all the truckers. Dangerous job, DOT, high fuel prices, insurance, you name it! Good luck to all those who who roll the wood down the road!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!