iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fire extinguisher?

Started by moosehunter, May 30, 2013, 04:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

I am filling out an insurance form to get my mill covered.
One of the questions caused me to stop and think.
"Is your band mill equipped with a fire extinguisher?"

Well no, but maybe it should be! Never thought of it before.
So who has one and how did you mount it out of the way but accessible?
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My mill is stationary. My Fire Extinguisher is mounted on a shed pole 6 feet away.
Everyone needs to have one.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

justallan1

I carry one in both of my trucks. Mounted on the passenger side, right in front of the door. When I'm using the mill whatever I'm driving is usually parked on the side of the mill that I work from so that I can use the truck battery when needed, I have a work table for my tools and the wind is going past the truck, me then the mill.

Allan

JustinW_NZ

Likewise, carry one in the Truck, and often get it out and sit it nearby the mill while working.
I also like to point it out to others.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Larry

Like others, I carry a fire extinguisher in my truck but...take my truck and go get us some food.  No more fire extinguisher.

This one doesn't leave the mill...ever.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SPD748

Good idea Larry. Nice mount too!

I have a large one by my mill as well. It doubles as an emergency shut down device should the 'ol 2 stroke ever find the need to take off.  no_no

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

clww

X2 Larry! ;)
Very good point.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

t f flippo

Absolutely !  Always one on the truck. One within reach, but not attached to the mill. Plan on getting a second one for the other end of the mill.

Also 5gal. buckets of water. More if doing a welding repair. Use one of the buckets and a scrub brush on dirty log ends. Fire extinguishers (ABC type) are great for putting fires out..... but not keeping fires out, hence the water buckets.

jdonovan

cary two.

You dont want the oil/fuel to spill right where you have your extinguisher mounted blocking access to it.

Also cary big ones. I've never wished for less extinguishing power.

Water can extinguishers are cheap, and home rechargeable, and can put out A LOT of wood fire. They take up a bunch of space, but i bring them in the bed of the truck, in addition to a dry-chemical unit.

hamish

Have one in each truck and several around the mill after last summers drought. 

The most important part of having one is knowing how to use it, even around a mill, different types of fires require different techniques, its not a simple point and shoot as most think.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

bandmiller2

The dry chemical [mostly bicarb of soda]tends to pack especially bouncing around on a truck or mill trailer.A couple of times a year tip them upside down and give them a goodly tap with a rubber mallet to keep the powder free.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

GDinMaine

+1 on the fire extinguisher.  We even carried them on our sailboat when we used to have one.  Never needed one, but one time the battery cought on fire in friend's boat because he switched the cables by mistake.  Fire extinguisher made quick work of that.  No damage to the boat just clean up and new battery.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Magicman

Yes, I have an extinguisher in the back of my work truck.  Of course there is also my 5 gallon drinking water cask as well as two 5 gallon water/Cascade blade lube jugs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I carry my extinguisher in the big cross-tool box in the back of my truck.

I always let anyone who's around the mill know that it is there!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

I have one in the "office" trailer just opposite the mill. Easy to get to but far enough away that a fire isn't going to keep me from getting to it.

In the summer I also keep a 5 gallon forestry backpack pump near the mill.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

kderby

Yes!  One with the mill at all times.

Each vehicle and several of the structures have dedicated extinguishers.

They cost money but consider the alternative.

Had one on the forklift release (pin fell out and handle got bumped on accident).  I used the rest of it as a training aid.

Glad to see others are of the same mind.

Kderby

bandmiller2

Extinguishers are best mounted away from engines and fuel tanks,outherwise you can't get to them if theirs a fire raging,handy but not too close. Frank C.

thecfarm

I got one for the house,but not for the sawmill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dboyt

Quote from: Magicman on May 30, 2013, 10:14:13 PM
Yes, I have an extinguisher in the back of my work truck.  Of course there is also my 5 gallon drinking water cask as well as two 5 gallon water/Cascade blade lube jugs.
Not good if you lube with Diesel!  This is a good thread.  I'm going to build a bracket and install one on my mill this weekend, though it looks like more danger of it being destroyed by tornado than fire!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Magicman

Soap working as a surfactant to lower the surface tension actually makes your water/soap blade lube a very good fire extinguisher.  It's limiting factor would be not having a way to expel it onto a fire and even then it's effectiveness with a petroleum based fire would be questionable.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: moosehunter on May 30, 2013, 04:47:21 PM
I am filling out an insurance form to get my mill covered.
One of the questions caused me to stop and think.
"Is your band mill equipped with a fire extinguisher?"

My insurance company asked me the same thing.

I also highly agree with the recommendation to practice with it, or go to your local Fire Department to get a little training, usually for free. In my other job we have to get yearly fire extinuisher training and certification, which we all laughed at and joked about, until I watched a very intelligent, competent but inexperienced person almost expend 2 full extinguishers and still not put out the training fire.  Just as the last extinguisher was about to puff out, the fire department guy grabbed it out of his hand, walked over to the fire, and with one short burst, put the fire out.  We all paid a little more attention after that.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

jdonovan

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 31, 2013, 02:46:38 PM
Just as the last extinguisher was about to puff out, the fire department guy grabbed it out of his hand, walked over to the fire, and with one short burst, put the fire out.  We all paid a little more attention after that.
the ratings on fire extinguishers are for 'untrained persons' experienced users are MUCH MUCH more effective.

Used to do fire training at the local academy. Extinguisher day was always fun. It usually started with why bother when we show up with 750 galls of water, and a 2.5" hose? By the end of the day we made believers in what 10-20lbs of agent could do.

A few of the more astute students had found ways to put out the whole liquid fire pan with less than 1/2 a water can... about 1.25 Gal of water. Neat to see the skills develop over the course of the day.

Next time you have that camp fire, and the end of the night/party is there try using an extinguisher on it rather than the garden hose. Know how to use the tools before you need them in a high pressure situation.

Good rule of thumb. If the fire is big enough that its scaring you, its probably too big for an extinguisher or your skill level.

bandmiller2

Fire extingushers are a pretty effective last ditch defence device if attacked by bears or outher unsavory critters. Frank C.

MAI

This is a GREAT thread guys, keep it going.  Good info and ideas.   

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 04, 2013, 07:32:32 AM
Fire extingushers are a pretty effective last ditch defence device if attacked by bears or outher unsavory critters. Frank C.

This is good. Since I got fire extinguishers for my mill and RTV, I haven't seen a bear.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!