iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Triangular cant

Started by rimshot, May 30, 2013, 07:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimshot

I have an odd request from a friend.  He wants me to saw him up a triangular cant.  I have  Woodmizer lt10 manual bandsaw.  Not my idea but a strange request indeed.  It is apprently for a totem pole.  Can it be done?  Perhaps by shimming or something?

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

thecfarm

How big? I would use a jack too. Others have probably done it. I will bookmark this thread so I will know how too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I have unintentionally made them...... ;D   :D

Seriously, you will need to "wedge up" one side to get your angle.  Possibly even make a jig to hold the cant securely for the cuts.

Some pictures of your progress will be interesting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rimshot

a jig, now there is an idea.  Thanks, Majicman. If I were to first  cut a square cant and then build a sawable jig to hold the square cant at 45*, i would only have to run the darn thing through once.  I'll bet I could hit every nail in that jig twce even if I sawed 45* one time.

rim
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Magicman

My head is whacko this morning, but I was thinking 60°.   smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Made them a few times.   Open the log and get the width that you are looking for, keep the slab closeby, turn and saw second face so that you now have a 90° angle face.

you now have two faces of the triangle, what I do for the third is put the slabs back on with screws, keep the screws near the point of the triangle...(away from the blade ...). turn the log and with a square from the point of the two faces, square the log up and clamp in place and saw the last face so that all sides are of equal width. I have tapper compensators on my mill, you may need to use a jack to lift and get the faces just right, a little time consumming but once you do one it gets easier .    ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

rimshot

Majicman, you are A BETTER Geometry TEACHER than i AM A STUDENT.  uHHH!  THE DOG ATE MY HOMEWORK.  You are right.

RIM

rimshot

Quote from: isawlogs on May 30, 2013, 08:09:21 AM
  Made them a few times.   Open the log and get the width that you are looking for, keep the slab closeby, turn and saw second face so that you now have a 90° angle face.

you now have two faces of the triangle, what I do for the third is put the slabs back on with screws, keep the screws near the point of the triangle...(away from the blade ...). turn the log and with a square from the point of the two faces, square the log up and clamp in place and saw the last face so that all sides are of equal width. I have tapper compensators on my mill, you may need to use a jack to lift and get the faces just right, a little time consumming but once you do one it gets easier .    ;)
===================
Thanks Isaw, That sounds like it would worksaw.

cfarm, I don't know how big he wants this thing just yet.

rim

John Bartley

Quote from: rimshot on May 30, 2013, 08:11:31 AM
Majicman, you are A BETTER Geometry TEACHER than i AM A STUDENT.  uHHH!  THE DOG ATE MY HOMEWORK.  You are right.

RIM

Magicman is correct "if" what your customer wants is an equilateral triangle (same angle on all corners), but ..... maybe you should ask what the application is. It's possible that what he wants is a right-angle triangle (two 45's and a 90) to be used in a corner ... ??

John (just stirring the pot)
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

rimshot

Quote from: John Bartley link=topic=66936.msg1002059#msg1002059

..... maybe you Magicman is correct "if" what your customer wants is an equilateral triangle (same angle on all corners), but should ask what the application is. It's possible that what he wants is a right-angle triangle (two 45's and a 90) to be used in a corner ... ??

John (just stirring the pot)
==================

I'm trying to recall some of those figures as my mind floats back to the shapes and sizes of figures in Geometry class.  OK, I'll try for another reprieve.  In those days I think at 17 years of age my mind may have drifted to shapes other than were provided for in the text book. That's my story and I am sticking to it. 

I am thnking that if a cant is cut square and the cant was sawed corner to corner, the angle for holding the log would still be 45* if it was a right triangle when complated.  right

rim

mad murdock

If you cut a square cant in half diagonally, you will have 2 pieces that have the shape of right triangles. A right triangle is any triangle with one 90deg angle. Any triangle when adding up the total of all the angles will always =180. An equilateral triangle has 3 = angles and thusly 3 equal length sides.  Pythagoreans theorem for right triangles is the lengths of the short sides squared and added together equals the length of the hypotenuse (long side) squared.  A squared + B squared = C squared. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Kingcha

a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

beenthere

Rimshot,
A good idea to find out what the customer has in mind for a "triangle".  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: rimshot on May 30, 2013, 08:36:23 AM
... In those days I think at 17 years of age my mind may have drifted to shapes other than were provided for in the text book. That's my story and I am sticking to it. 

Rim,

I think at that point in life, I was studying curves, not angles...

Herb

Andy White

Mad Murdock

I think the formula would be (a square+b square=square root c) Old and fuzzy, but I think it's right.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

beenthere

Andy
Better go back and check that fuzzy logic out.   ;D

Quotethink the formula would be (a square+b square=square root c) Old and fuzzy, but I think it's right.     Andy

If you want to solve for C, then the square root of the quantity (a squared + b squared) will give you the value for C.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MSSawmill

Quote from: Andy White on May 30, 2013, 10:04:11 AM
Mad Murdock

I think the formula would be (a square+b square=square root c) Old and fuzzy, but I think it's right.     Andy

Negative. He had it right... "For any right triangle, the sum of the squares of the sides is equal to the square of the hypoteneuse." ... or something like that.

Why couldn't you build a jig that sits against the dogs and on the table that holds your cant at the correct angle? You cut the top of your log, put the jig in place, roll the log so  that the freshly cut side is against the jig, cut second side of triangle, roll again so that side is on the jig, and then cut the third side. Clamping the last cut would be the most difficult part, I think...
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

Magicman

Ya take your wife's age, divide it by two, multiply that by the number of children that you have, subtract the number of years that you have been married, and then............  :)

captain_crunch

M_M
unless you like sleeping outside with the dog u keep answer to that to yourself :snowball: :snowball:
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

redbeard

I have milled Yurt parts and large sills by using a jig made in shop to keep milled parts consistent.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

mad murdock

Redbeard, my head is hurting looking at that jig of yours!  Nice workmanship, Ibet it took a bit of thinking to make that jig-5 separate pieces? glued and screwed together?  Looks very handy 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ga Mtn Man

That is one sweet table saw extension you've got there Redbeard.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

dblair

put it on a circle mill it will cut a triangle with this 

old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

woodyone.john

Back to the diversion, wasnt it the wolf man who said 'baby you got the curves but I got the angles. i still remember [some of] the 60's and 70's. thanks for the reminder!
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

rimshot

Quote from: woodyone.john on June 01, 2013, 01:45:48 AM
Back to the diversion, wasnt it the wolf man who said 'baby you got the curves but I got the angles. i still remember [some of] the 60's and 70's. thanks for the reminder!
(woodyone.john
======================

It was all a giant conspiracy to keep us out of the triangular shaped log cant business. (big grin).  Hips or  hypotenuses, either or could get a young man in trouble back in those days.

rim (thinking logs these days)

Thank You Sponsors!