iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Varmit rifle suggestions

Started by doctorb, May 29, 2013, 12:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

I have been trapping ground hogs this spring, and have been sucessful, but every time I think that I have it licked, more pop up.  The largest ones are down by my barn and need to be erradicated, as they like to dig around the barn footings.  So I am finally going to take the plunge and get a varmit rifle.  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions the membership has to offer.  My longest shot would be 100-120 yards.  I do not want it to be a deer rifle, as I have friends/hunters who take care of my property for me in that regard.  So....what do you guys suggest for accuracy, ease of use, cost, and any other variable that should be factored into this decision?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Raider Bill

This is going to be a great thread!

Tough time to be gun shopping though right now. $$$

I'd say a Bolt action Savage with the accu- trigger system in .223. Optics I dunno much about anymore as I haven't kept up on them.

Walking Varmiter
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

240b

I have an old ranch rifle for porky's, simple rugged gun. Rides behind the seat in the truck, looks like it too. I think they are pricey now, like 700 bucks I think I paid 350 for it.  Shot alot of woodchucks with the 10/22 also.
Actually headed out to shoot at some pesky soup cans right now.

Magicman

I know that the .222/223 will be suggested and are fine varmint calibers, but I regularly shoot at the ranges that you indicated and use a Marlin bolt action .22 magnum.  Much quieter, and dead is dead.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Axe Handle Hound

I'm on the .22 rimfire bandwagon.  I have a Ruger 10/22 and it's deadly on groundhogs out to 100 yards.  Ammo is cheap (or cheaper I should say), but can be a little difficult to find right now.  If there's none on the shelf at the store see if they'll put you on a call list for when the next shipment comes in. 

thecfarm

I still have my GrandMother's single shot 22. It's dead on too.But I'm not.What I like about it,it can sit behind the garage door waiting for me and it shots just fine when I need it. Get ready doctorb,groundhogs,wood chunks,I call them critters, are mighty smart and catch on quick. You miss a few times and they get gun shy real quick.
I have no idea the terrain around the barn,but when we started to mow the fields like we do the lawn,those wood chunks went into the woods. They do not like to come out in the open much.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ancjr

10/22 with a 9X scope is definitely going to be the effective, economic choice.  My brother and a friend spent a day shooting groundhogs around an infested barn not unlike you describe.  Problem soved for about $5 worth of ammo.  fudd-smiley

Dave Shepard

.17 HMR is a great round.  Very accurate, plenty of power, fairly quiet. I bought a cheap Savage at wally world good about $140 a few years ago.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

elk42

I love the 22 cal. also. But take a look at a H&R single shot 17 HMR cal.   
[[[[[ AND TODAY I AM 71 YEARS YOUNG.]]]]       8) 8) :D :D :D
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

clww

Doc,
For that range, I would go with a .22 LR. If you don't mind the ammo being 3X more, go with a ,22 Magnum. I have a Marlin M761(I think) that I've shot small game with for 30 years. Out to 125 yards on a calm day with the factory open sights, it will group 7 shots in less than 3", which is good enough for woodchucks. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ely

if cheep is what you want the 17hmr handi rifle is simple and economical, for a bit more cash you can get simple and elegant with the T/C encore in the same caliber, plus you have the option of different calibers and guages when the bug bites to shoot something a bit different. no more than it sounds like you will be shooting, the cost of ammo shouldnt be a concern.
if you go with the 17 hmr, i would top that rifle with one of the various sweet 17 scopes that has been designed for that round because it takes the guess work out of the scope for longer range shots.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

doctorb

In trying to do my homework, I was wondering if all agree that the 17hmr has more than enough ooompf.  Many rec. a 222/223 round, but those that like the 17 seem to love it.  While real pricey, anybody tried the Benjamin Marauder Air rifles?  The reviews are outstanding and they make minimal sound.  Maybe get two or three whistle pigs at a time??
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

clww

Plenty of power in the .17 for a chuck.
Can't comment on that air gun.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

drobertson

A good friend has the .177 varmit, assault type riffle, very deadly, and accurate, not sure the make, but a good 22 mag, for killing is a good choice, the rounds are not priced for plinking, but if you have one good shot not a bad round,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

17HMR. Much flatter trajectory than a 22 which makes a big difference hitting a tennis ball sized target at 100 yards. Like Dave Sheppard says, Savage makes a really nice bolt action in this caliber, but I don't think you'll find one as cheap as he quoted.

D L Bahler

I've never had trouble getting a good grouping at 100 yards with an ordinary run of the mill .22 LR, iron sights. For shootin ground hogs, that's all you need.
A good deal of people around here use those or even a 22 pistol for that job. Out here in the country, everybody has a deep seated hatred of ground hogs, they are far too fond of soy beans...

Plus a 22 is a good gun to have around, cheap ammo so you can shoot at cans or bottles to relax or pass the time, take out pests like ground hogs, squirrels, coons, and such, I like the idea of its limited range, feel safer shootin it off and not havin to worry what a stray bullet might find.

beenthere

D L
You are really good at 100 yds, if it is a 1" grouping.

What is the "limited range" of a 22 that you speak of  ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

I had a 223 in a Remington with the bull barrel  ...killed a lot of ground hogs... I guess these guys are a lot better shot than me if they can consistently dead stop a ground hog with a 22...  I got nothing against the 10/22 I got two of them, but for a ground hog and me shooting ... give me the 223.. I have no exp. with the 17 but I bet it would do fine as well.  Been meaning to get myself one...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Axe Handle Hound

doctorb- Some reading for you on the .17 HMR and .22 Mag.  Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one as both are more than adequate for wood chucks. 

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm

pabst79

You can't go wrong with a .17 but I think if your going to buy just one varmit rifle and you don't want to spend the $ on a centerfire, I would buy a savage or marlin .22 mag. The .22 mag has a little more power if you decide you need to take out a yote or 2, and it will dispatch them chucks to!
This forum rivals sliced bread!  8)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

elk42

New England Firearms (owned by Marlin) has an inexpensive, break-action, single shot rifle for the .17 Hornady. Savage/Stevens has their more expensive Model 30R17 falling block single, and Winchester offers their deluxe Model 1885 Low Wall in .17 HMR. In addition, Thompson/Center is offering the .17 HMR in their single shot rifle.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

doctorb

Axe Handle-

Thanks for that link.  I learned quite a lot from it.

trapper

223 shells are very hard to find now  All the local stores have a supply of 17hmr yet.
22 rimfire is also hard to find.  I like 22.250 and they are available but might be overkill.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

scsmith42

Doc, although larger than a woodchuck, I used to have a lot of problems with red foxes picking off my free range chickens during the day.  I started off with a .22, but the low energy and trajectory drop was not optimum.

I ended up using a .223, and have been very happy with the results.  I have three different rifles; a stainless steel Ruger M77, an H&K model 93 with a night vision scope, and an AR15 with a Nightforce scope.  For ammo, after shooting several different brands in each rifle, I settled on Federal 50 grain JHP's as providing the tightest groupings across all three platforms.

A .17 HMR is a great varmint caliber.  However, the .223 is a good multi-functional round, and it's hard to beat an AR15 for versatility, comfort and available accessories.

One other thing to consider is the noise.  Maryland allows civilian ownership of sound suppressors on rifles (albeit you have to go through a state and federal process to legally own one, and right now the paperwork takes around 9 - 12 months for approval).  If you are considering a suppressed rifle, then I would definitely consider the .22 as it is an excellent candidate for suppression.  A .223 is also a good candidate, but it won't be as quiet as a .22
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!