iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

climbing & cutting

Started by Forrest277, May 28, 2013, 12:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forrest277

thought some of you guys might like this ...

5th climb n cut of the day... new lanyard worked great, happy client, happy me, steaks and beer stashed what more could we ask for...

this work is so much fun sometimes I feel guilty getting paid !

If anyone wants to know more I'd be happy to share my rig with you, stoked on the day and encourage anyone interested to get into this kind of thing if you have a head for heights.  Its just the best !

peace out n happy cuttin as ever

now you can understand why I chose a light saw.

vid here>>  http://www.youtube.com/user/forrest277?feature=mhum

GF
==

Love my Husky ...

thecfarm

I like my feet not much more than about 4 feet of the ground. That's a little on the high side of 4 feet.  ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brendonv

Cool.  A bit light on ppe and i dont see a back up secure tie in.  Your lanyard strikes me as scary too.

Not sure what your plans are, but have you checked out any arborist forums?  I am not sure im allowed to post links to other sites but if i am id be more than happy to put you in the right direction.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

justallan1

I still find it easier to take the limbs off with the tree on the ground! ;D
I'll leave the climbing to you guys that know what you are doing.

Allan

Forrest277

Quote from: brendonv on May 29, 2013, 06:03:45 AM
Cool.  A bit light on ppe and i dont see a back up secure tie in.  Your lanyard strikes me as scary too.

Not sure what your plans are, but have you checked out any arborist forums?  I am not sure im allowed to post links to other sites but if i am id be more than happy to put you in the right direction.

thanks for your comments ... and your concern _ you have not to worry, my friend,

i have utmost faith in my rigging... from today for example, I have double lanyards attached to the trunck at the cut point, all my rigging behind me away from the branch.

Used SRT to ascend, attach second sling/lanyard to a secondary branch, climb the overhang and install at first high saddle. Then, re attach both loops higher up, continue to ascend to final cutting saddle. bring the saw up on tertiary line. Start saw. make the undercut, make the top cut . descend the saw. reverse sequence for descent.

im only writing this so you dont worry...:°)

good prep of my gear always lol

apologies if you are not in to Hip-Hop, but i love this group lol...
heres how the cut went >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf-dS-gyEcY

thanks again to contact me

GF
==
Love my Husky ...

Forrest277

_ sure thing _ do you have any reccomendations ? _ and just for laughs i gotta share this clip with you >>

this guy is my hero >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_7uIapoHc
Love my Husky ...

brendonv

Search for "the treehouse" or " treebuzz".  You can also see my videos under cttreeclimber on youtube too.  Good luck.

www.VorioTree.com

Forrest277

Quote from: brendonv on May 29, 2013, 10:26:28 PM
Search for "the treehouse" or " treebuzz".  You can also see my videos under cttreeclimber on youtube too.  Good luck.

yes _ that sounds good _

you too stay safe and happy climbing

GF
==
Love my Husky ...

FIBC

Good job,when you cut down a tree as logs,you need a best packaing solution,I think which is the vented FIBC bag,it is your good choice for your logs.For more details please visit our website:
URL DELETED

Jeff

Not sure how the Chinese spammer got past our defenses, but he is now banned. Now I gotta go see what admin let him in so we can harass him! :D   I hope it wasn't me! :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Forrest277

Quote from: Jeff on May 30, 2013, 06:57:58 AM
Not sure how the Chinese spammer got past our defenses, but he is now banned. Now I gotta go see what admin let him in so we can harass him! :D   I hope it wasn't me! :D

wow _ thankstto get on it so quickly _ much appreciated, and cool to know there is someone there :)) damb chinks !

dudes like this i find inspiring >>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSRq9qhHffs

great forum thanks for the service

GF
==

Love my Husky ...

Forrest277

I like to study the hinge after a high cut like this. the drop went perfectly and managed to not crush the underlying bushes, or squash any pets lol :°))... the butt end ending up by the trunk.

and the rear of the hinge

hope this is appreciated

GF
==
Love my Husky ...

JohnM

Quote from: Forrest277 on May 30, 2013, 07:02:30 AM

wow _ thankstto get on it so quickly _ much appreciated, and cool to know there is someone there :)) damb chinks!
Misspelled racial slur, classic.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Forrest277

Quote from: JohnM on May 30, 2013, 05:51:33 PM
Quote from: Forrest277 on May 30, 2013, 07:02:30 AM

wow _ thankstto get on it so quickly _ much appreciated, and cool to know there is someone there :)) damb chinks!
Misspelled racial slur, classic.

more of an abbreviation than a slur _ but thanks all the same _ they also tried to hack my email account lol!
Love my Husky ...

Forrest277

here are the specs on the ropes I actually use... this should put your mind to rest !

lanyard>>

simond rock climbing rope>>

plus I have 2 tonne rated Beal slings as secondary tie on's

I gotta say please stop worrying ! all this is more than enough to hold my 75kg plus a 8kg saw. PLUS I actually have alot of rock climbing experience_ which is alot MORE dangerous than tree work.

look mum NO ROPES

dig

GF
==
Love my Husky ...

brendonv

I really like how you use cable clamps to secure your rope together on your lanyard(joking of course).  You can have the strongest rope in the world but the fact of how you connect them means it all.

My ten years combined climbing experience, from being head climber for my business, foreman and lead for another company, and contract climbing for numerous other companies to this day must not be enough to make reccomendations about unsafe work practices.

But hey, as long as you think its right!

Good luck, im not losing sleep over it!

www.VorioTree.com

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello All,

I have enjoyed reading and following GF's post and adventures in the "vertical world," very much.  Thanks for posting all your adventures, thoughts, creations and discoveries.  I must come to his defense on a few points, and since others have share their background and credentials to validate their position, I will do the same.  ;)

I first started as 2nd climber,ground man on a 2 man crew, part time after school in 1978, and already had been rock climbing/caving since 1968.    I am a certified AMGA "rock site manager", was an originating member of the ACCT (Association for Challenge Course Technologies), tactical ropes, rigging and high angle instructor, etc....So lets say I have been in the vertical world for a relatively long time.

North America is just catching up to where most of Europe (particularly France) has been for almost 35 years.  The French "high angle" world and SRT, DdRT, DRT methods employed in the Arborist field have been way ahead of us for some time, and just now are we about even.  I was among some of the first arborist to start using "rock climbing" rigging and gear in the Arborist field, as was Bruce Smith, the author of "On Rope," who is a friend and teacher.  There was much controversy in those beginning years. 

Though non cable cord-cable clamp secured lanyards, straps and anchors aren't the very best application, they are safe and commonly used for "live load" application.  There is a specific attachment method and "torque load" requirement for the bolts, but I see nothing wrong with GF's use of them, as it is the norm in many applications and rigging circles.  With that type of rope I would much rather see a good "hand splice," but in a pinch, cable clamps are safe and get the job done.

Keep up the great work GF, love seeing what the next generation is up to.

Warm Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

brendonv

Would not be allowed at comps or any worksite around here!

www.VorioTree.com

bill m

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks using cable clamps for rope is unsafe. Can someone show my where in the Z133 regulations it says cable clamps can be used on synthetic rope? I can't find it.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Bill M,

I'm not sure that the Z133 copy I have is current, nor do I believe it is that specific.  I will say that when the "Euro-Rock Climbing gear" started to show up on the seen, it was all the buzz for being unsafe.  SRT was not allowed in most of the tree industry at that time, nor the "free style" climber harnesses, which are common today.

Hello Brendov,

Well I have seen them at comps, so at some they must have been allowed, but that was the mid to late 80's. As for work sites in Connecticut, they would be because I was crew chief of Asplundh from 1988 to 89 in West Hartford area and then lead climber for "Second Nature Tree Care."  I am also the tree warden for my town here in Vermont, and as long as the gear is certified or meets one of the many "high angle" standards, it is used. 

Now lets be clear, I don't like them (they get caught on stuff) and would much prefer to see a braided splice or "bartack" system used, but when done correctly they aren't unsafe, just cumbersome.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Forrest277

Quote from: brendonv on May 31, 2013, 04:57:54 PM
I really like how you use cable clamps to secure your rope together on your lanyard(joking of course).  You can have the strongest rope in the world but the fact of how you connect them means it all.

My ten years combined climbing experience, from being head climber for my business, foreman and lead for another company, and contract climbing for numerous other companies to this day must not be enough to make reccomendations about unsafe work practices.

But hey, as long as you think its right!

Good luck, im not losing sleep over it!

I'm not disrespecting your experience when I say this, my friend, but honestly, when it comes to regulations and "unsafe work practices" my eyes start glazing over.

These days there are so many directives and safety regs, if I had read all the guidelines I would probably turn up to the job and say "sorry can't do it, its too dangerous"  or on the other hand I could reasonably assess the climb, apply what I know, and get the job done.

Furthermore, there are certain accepted methods used by arborists, that I would never use myself, for example the practice of climbing with the saw attached to the harness.  I avoid doing this at all costs, as it limits my flexiblity and is very cumbersome. I'd much rather have the saw attached independantly to the tree than to my harness.

Love my Husky ...

Forrest277

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on May 31, 2013, 06:12:29 PM
Hello All,

I have enjoyed reading and following GF's post and adventures in the "vertical world," very much.  Thanks for posting all your adventures, thoughts, creations and discoveries.  I must come to his defense on a few points, and since others have share their background and credentials to validate their position, I will do the same.  ;)

I first started as 2nd climber,ground man on a 2 man crew, part time after school in 1978, and already had been rock climbing/caving since 1968.    I am a certified AMGA "rock site manager", was an originating member of the ACCT (Association for Challenge Course Technologies), tactical ropes, rigging and high angle instructor, etc....So lets say I have been in the vertical world for a relatively long time.

North America is just catching up to where most of Europe (particularly France) has been for almost 35 years.  The French "high angle" world and SRT, DdRT, DRT methods employed in the Arborist field have been way ahead of us for some time, and just now are we about even.  I was among some of the first arborist to start using "rock climbing" rigging and gear in the Arborist field, as was Bruce Smith, the author of "On Rope," who is a friend and teacher.  There was much controversy in those beginning years. 

Though non cable cord-cable clamp secured lanyards, straps and anchors aren't the very best application, they are safe and commonly used for "live load" application.  There is a specific attachment method and "torque load" requirement for the bolts, but I see nothing wrong with GF's use of them, as it is the norm in many applications and rigging circles.  With that type of rope I would much rather see a good "hand splice," but in a pinch, cable clamps are safe and get the job done.

Keep up the great work GF, love seeing what the next generation is up to.

Warm Regards,

jay

Jay, thanks for the kind words and support. Much appreciated. I was trained in the Cadets, in the 80's and we abseilled off the 100foot local church tower for fun. That was at my school.

Honestly, I never would have thought that my lanyard would cause such a reponse. I could hang elephants off that thing its so strong (with the clamps - tight, but not over-tight).

Thank you also for your supporting comments. I think the debate is a healthy one. I tend to pick and choose my rigging depending on situation and the job. I always keep it to a minimum to reduce weight and make life easier when high up.

Stay in touch and good to hear from you

GF
==

Love my Husky ...

brendonv

Jay, its 2013.  Your speaking about you've seen in the 80's.  Boy have things changed.

In no way shape or form would his work practices be allowed at any legit company today.  Im wondering how he will get to the ground in emergency with a sling as his secondary tie in.  Wheres the rope and friction hitch setup?  Its a shame your giving suggestions based off rock climbing and the olden days.

Good luck forest, as long as you keep telling yourself its ok, then it must be.   ;). Your accident in France should not affect my insurance rates. 

Im not much for beating a horse, but i just don't care to see new angels born should a newbie stumble across this sillyness thinking its the way to do it.

www.VorioTree.com

bill m

Forrest277, I don't think anyone said your lanyard / sling is not strong. What we are saying is that it DOES NOT appear to be SAFE. What are the torque specs for that clamp when using it on synthetic rope? I can't find numbers anywhere. How do you know it is tight enough so it does not slip but not so tight that it starts crushing the rope fibers when it is loaded.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Forrest277

Quote from: brendonv on June 01, 2013, 06:48:22 AM
Jay, its 2013.  Your speaking about you've seen in the 80's.  Boy have things changed.

In no way shape or form would his work practices be allowed at any legit company today.  Im wondering how he will get to the ground in emergency with a sling as his secondary tie in.  Wheres the rope and friction hitch setup?  Its a shame your giving suggestions based off rock climbing and the olden days.

Good luck forest, as long as you keep telling yourself its ok, then it must be.   ;). Your accident in France should not affect my insurance rates. 

Im not much for beating a horse, but i just don't care to see new angels born should a newbie stumble across this sillyness thinking its the way to do it.

I dont know man _ I see it like this ok ... with that saw dangling from your harness I can understand why you need insurance.

There are things seen as safe practice, which to me feel very unsafe.

So unless we are going to talk about it properly _ each to his own _ its my life and I do what I feel comfortable with, maybe I am just a good climber.

If i'm completely honest I have never taken out an insurance for any of the MORE dangerous things I do, and have done, and will continue to do, without accident.

Like Fred Dibnah, he NEVER had an accident his whole life, and worked much higher than any of us. There is no tree  I couldn't dismantle with a very simple and safe rig including my cable ties.

Furthermore I think its essential young climbers understand how to use traditional techniques to climb, and not get so caught up in all this nanny state overprotectionism safety paranioa.

Love my Husky ...

Thank You Sponsors!